Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Health and Dental insurance

Hello Everyone. I am currently in the US still but I was curious about Health and Dental insurance for the Dominican Republic. I'm going to another job that offers health insurance but it's a High Deductible Plan($1350/$2700 or $3000/$7000) with an optional Health Savings Account. I've seen a lot of mixed stories about this issue from YouTubers and people here about Health and dental in the DR. From what I've seen Dental insurance seems to get good reviews and prices. Health on the other hand gets a lot of mixed reviews. I've read things from "Many places will not take the health insurance and you need to file a claim after you pay" to "The health insurance in DR is cheap and offers a good service". I've never had a high deductible plan before so I don't know what to expect here in the US. I'm 35 but my family has a history of high blood pressure, heart issues, eye issues, prostate and pancreatic cancer issues, and panic attacks. Here are my questions:

1. Are there any people on here that still live in the US and fly to the DR for anything medical?

2. Are there any standalone dental plans for the Dominican Republic and how much are the premiums?

3. What are the premiums for health insurance there? From the crappiest plan to the best one.

4. Do people use Humano and Universal still? I've seen that these are the two best companies in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2003 View Post
    Hello Everyone. I am currently in the US still but I was curious about Health and Dental insurance for the Dominican Republic. I'm going to another job that offers health insurance but it's a High Deductible Plan($1350/$2700 or $3000/$7000) with an optional Health Savings Account. I've seen a lot of mixed stories about this issue from YouTubers and people here about Health and dental in the DR. From what I've seen Dental insurance seems to get good reviews and prices. Health on the other hand gets a lot of mixed reviews. I've read things from "Many places will not take the health insurance and you need to file a claim after you pay" to "The health insurance in DR is cheap and offers a good service". I've never had a high deductible plan before so I don't know what to expect here in the US. I'm 35 but my family has a history of high blood pressure, heart issues, eye issues, prostate and pancreatic cancer issues, and panic attacks. Here are my questions:

1. Are there any people on here that still live in the US and fly to the DR for anything medical?
    Don't see the point. Used to be a lot of people coming for inexpensive cosmetic surgeries, but with so many reports of problems and deaths that is best left to State side plastic surgeons.

2. Are there any standalone dental plans for the Dominican Republic and how much are the premiums? Yes - cheap

3. What are the premiums for health insurance there? From the crappiest plan to the best one. About $400 per year - too many plans to get into it

4. Do people use Humano and Universal still? I've seen that these are the two best companies in the DR. Yes & Yes

3. Likes Jaws2003 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to do plastic surgeries. They can have it. It's good to know that the medical is cheap there. Like I said in my initial post many people love doing the dental there. Seems like there are not any waiting periods, work is good and prices are cheaper than America with insurance.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2003 View Post

2. Are there any standalone dental plans for the Dominican Republic and how much are the premiums?

3. What are the premiums for health insurance there? From the crappiest plan to the best one.

4. Do people use Humano and Universal still? I've seen that these are the two best companies in the DR.
    The cheapest Health plan we sell is 800 pesos a month . The most expensive health insurance is 6825 pesos a month.
    You add in medicine with the premiums depending on the amount of coverage you want. For dental you pay also for the amount of coverage you want but the most expensive has dental included.

For standalone dental you buy the cheapest plan and add in the amount of dental coverage you want.

The thing is though make sure there is a dental clinic near you or that you know that will take the
    dental insurance.

The cost/ benefit for the health insurance is much better than that for the medicines or dental.

We sell Humano and Palic. Universal is widely used. It is important to buy from someone that actually gives s**t.
    We saw a european family people go from Sosua to Puerto Plata with copies of their children's birth certificates only to learn that they had to come back so the secretary could see the original. We don't work with that insurance company.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions in this regard

Norm segurosnavas.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drperson View Post
    The cheapest Health plan we sell is 800 pesos a month . The most expensive health insurance is 6825 pesos a month.
    You add in medicine with the premiums depending on the amount of coverage you want. For dental you pay also for the amount of coverage you want but the most expensive has dental included.

For standalone dental you buy the cheapest plan and add in the amount of dental coverage you want.

The thing is though make sure there is a dental clinic near you or that you know that will take the
    dental insurance.

The cost/ benefit for the health insurance is much better than that for the medicines or dental.

We sell Humano and Palic. Universal is widely used. It is important to buy from someone that actually gives s**t.
    We saw a european family people go from Sosua to Puerto Plata with copies of their children's birth certificates only to learn that they had to come back so the secretary could see the original. We don't work with that insurance company.

Norm segurosnavas.com
    Thanks for the information. I plan on being in the Santiago area since I like it so much. I will check out the site as well. That's not bad for the low or high plans.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

dental insurance.

Norm segurosnavas.com
    Is there an age cap for joining either of those?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    Is there an age cap for joining either of those?
    For Humano you need a medical after 60 yrs but it's not such a big deal as they have their own physicians and make it easy. You can get it up to 65 years but not 66
    With Palic there is no medical requirement. You can get it up to 68 yrs but not 69 years.

In both cases don't leave it to the last minute.

norm segurosnavas.com
    Last edited by Drperson; 11-21-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: info

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for clarification, you mean that people beyond 66 or 69 depending on the plan can not get insurance? What if the get it via a company that employees them?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asan View Post
    Just for clarification, you mean that people beyond 66 or 69 depending on the plan can not get insurance? What if the get it via a company that employees them?
    Yes if you work for a company you can be covered under their plan til 69 or older .

You can also set up a company with your business and it will cover your family. You pay monthly taxes to the government and in return you can have a health insurance plan. You may have to have a cedula as the business owner to do this .It's a little tricky but possible.

I will post more complete info on this.

Norm segurosnavas.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

dental insurance.

Norm segurosnavas.com
    Hi - you listed the cost for a single person? The most expensive health insurance is 6825 pesos a month. Would you be able to provide a range for a family of 3? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast