driving from puerto plata to monte cristi

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
Anyone would know if the long awaited highway Purto Plata Montec cristi has made some progress at all ? I am looking for a short cut . Would I have to anyway come down to navarete and join the highway number 1 or would there be another alternative. I'll be driving a regular 2*4 vehicle no off road itinerary please !

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
The road to Navarete is still basically the same and is still the easiest way to travel. An alternative is to go via Luperon, el Castillo, Punta Rucia, Los Hidalgos and join the "Autopista Duarte" at Laguna Salada.

The other route I traveled in as a passenger in a 4x4 via Guananico, Villa Isabela and Punta Rucia.... was very rough. Not recommended. Unless they have done any work on this road recently.

For the first time in about a year traveled to Santo Domingo via Santiago. What an improvement on the road to Santiago from Navarete.

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
not too disappointed....

Thanks arroyodmd . I actually had no hope but it is good to know that the Santiago roundabout to Cabarete is not anymore a bottleneck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Trip to MC

Out of your hotel, turn right. Follow your nose until you come to a traffic light-it may or may not be working- in Navarrete. Turn right. Follow your nose until you get to the beach in MC.

Alternative route, scenic, okey for 2 x 4 regular vehicle:

After you cross the big bridge in Altamira, watch for the first road on your right. (There is a sign) Take that road to Guananico , Marmolejos, and Los Hildalgos (el Mamey), turn left at Los Hildalgos, down to Cruce de Guayacanes, turn right to MC....

Happy motoring!!

HB
558.gif