Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My documents for Citizenship were accepted

    I started the process in June of this year. It took three months to get an FBI report with an apostille.


    Keeping true to form and using a lawyer only when absolutely necessary, my documents were submitted and approved yesterday for my citizenship application at the Guacal in Santo Domingo in the office of the Department of the Interior and Police. The government lawyer who reviewed my documents was very helpful. She is also VERY, VERY picky on how the documents are arranged in order, with four copies of everything, and on how a certain four documents are worded.

    There were four documents I needed to be written and notarized in the DR. Those four documents done by a lawyer were the only ones I needed to re-do , using a different notary who followed the prope format, and I was good to go. Go figure it was a lawyer who screwed that up, saying he knew how to do those documents and did not and those documents needed a do over based upon the very particular style the government wanted. Examples of those documents are not posted on line, but were given to us by the government lawyer.

    Every other document from the US and the DR , we did correctly by ourselves. FBI Report, Divorce, Death of Spouse, Solvency pre-requisites, all of the Apostilles, legalization and translation of them we had done ourselves.

    Total cost all in including paying for the application is under $1,600 US. My total costs include all of the expenses I paid for the documents and trips to Santo Domingo including hotels and transportation. A lawyer wanted $400 US just for two simple to get documents from Migracion showing my record of entrances and exits and the other showing how long I had residency (which is 16 years). Another wanted to charge almost $500 to get my FBI report. I can imagine the cost for a lawyer to do the whole stack of documents I submitted. My wife did most of the work and the government lawyer said most lawyers do not do so well.

    Did I mention the government lawyer was very particular? We took the 9:20 Caribe Tours bus to Santo Domingo and it was late. We arrived at the office at 5 minutes before 3 PM which is the time at which nobody else is admitted in to submit documents. The lawyer took our stack of documents, collated the newly done documents into the originals and four copies that are required and a guy walked in at 3:04 PM saying it was 3 PM. The government lawyer said no, it is 3:04 PM, I am working with these people and you come back tomorrow. Precise , she is. He left without further ado.

    Now I have to study for the exam. Unfortunately, I was never good in my life at rote memorization. History, dates, and such held little interest in my educational process becoming an engineer. So now I do face a challenge greater than most in passing the test.

    Thanks to William Webster and Matilda on how to proceed with this process.

  2. #2
    Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Congratulations. You should be fine in the exam. Just try and study when you can, and again remember they are particular. When asked what the currency of the country is, it is the Dominican peso = not just the peso. The names of everyone should also be in full President Danilo Medina Sánchez etc.

    Matilda
    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums


  3. Likes windeguy liked this post
  4. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Congratulations. You should be fine in the exam. Just try and study when you can, and again remember they are particular. When asked what the currency of the country is, it is the Dominican peso = not just the peso. The names of everyone should also be in full President Danilo Medina Sánchez etc.

    Matilda
    You mean Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez, and Albert Pujols won't work for the founding fathers?

  5. Likes Matilda liked this post
  6. #4
    Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    You mean Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez, and Albert Pujols won't work for the founding fathers?
    No they are Juan, Pablo and Duarte

    Matilda
    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums


  7. Likes mofongoloco liked this post
  8. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    No they are Juan, Pablo and Duarte

    Matilda
    Uhm. There are three and that is one of them.

    Juan Pablo Duarte, Francisco del Rosario Sanchez and Ramon Matias Mella (with appropriate accent marks my English keyboard does not easily provide).

  9. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    27,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I started the process in June of this year. It took three months to get an FBI report with an apostille.


    Keeping true to form and using a lawyer only when absolutely necessary, my documents were submitted and approved yesterday for my citizenship application at the Guacal in Santo Domingo in the office of the Department of the Interior and Police. The government lawyer who reviewed my documents was very helpful. She is also VERY, VERY picky on how the documents are arranged in order, with four copies of everything, and on how a certain four documents are worded.

    There were four documents I needed to be written and notarized in the DR. Those four documents done by a lawyer were the only ones I needed to re-do , using a different notary who followed the prope format, and I was good to go. Go figure it was a lawyer who screwed that up, saying he knew how to do those documents and did not and those documents needed a do over based upon the very particular style the government wanted. Examples of those documents are not posted on line, but were given to us by the government lawyer.

    Every other document from the US and the DR , we did correctly by ourselves. FBI Report, Divorce, Death of Spouse, Solvency pre-requisites, all of the Apostilles, legalization and translation of them we had done ourselves.

    Total cost all in including paying for the application is under $1,600 US. My total costs include all of the expenses I paid for the documents and trips to Santo Domingo including hotels and transportation. A lawyer wanted $400 US just for two simple to get documents from Migracion showing my record of entrances and exits and the other showing how long I had residency (which is 16 years). Another wanted to charge almost $500 to get my FBI report. I can imagine the cost for a lawyer to do the whole stack of documents I submitted. My wife did most of the work and the government lawyer said most lawyers do not do so well.

    Did I mention the government lawyer was very particular? We took the 9:20 Caribe Tours bus to Santo Domingo and it was late. We arrived at the office at 5 minutes before 3 PM which is the time at which nobody else is admitted in to submit documents. The lawyer took our stack of documents, collated the newly done documents into the originals and four copies that are required and a guy walked in at 3:04 PM saying it was 3 PM. The government lawyer said no, it is 3:04 PM, I am working with these people and you come back tomorrow. Precise , she is. He left without further ado.

    Now I have to study for the exam. Unfortunately, I was never good in my life at rote memorization. History, dates, and such held little interest in my educational process becoming an engineer. So now I do face a challenge greater than most in passing the test.

    Thanks to William Webster and Matilda on how to proceed with this process.
    Practise with a kid. I had one of our teachers daughters, Maria age 11, ask me all the questions. By the time I knew the answers to more or less all the questions her knowledge of Dominican history...etc improved immensely

  10. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Practise with a kid. I had one of our teachers daughters, Maria age 11, ask me all the questions. By the time I knew the answers to more or less all the questions her knowledge of Dominican history...etc improved immensely
    That would be a good suggestion. However I don't live in a locale with such a kid around.

  11. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Don't sweat the test. Almost impossible to fail.

  12. Likes windeguy liked this post
  13. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,823
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Music. ... Windy ---

    First President of Rep Dom.... Santana

    Study and apply a 'trigger ' word.. to remember

    I studied for multiple choice.... studying for a written response is a bit different.


    My test was 50/50 - multiple and written

    you'll be fine ... important dates and people are the biggest things as I remember

    Matilda's cheat sheet is a good one - 50 questions ?
    10 will be asked

  14. Likes windeguy liked this post
  15. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Music. ... Windy ---

    First President of Rep Dom.... Santana

    Study and apply a 'trigger ' word.. to remember

    I studied for multiple choice.... studying for a written response is a bit different.


    My test was 50/50 - multiple and written

    you'll be fine ... important dates and people are the biggest things as I remember

    Matilda's cheat sheet is a good one - 50 questions ?
    10 will be asked
    I have the question and answer list that was provided to me when the forms were accepted from the MIP. Thanks for the encouragement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •