Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun article about Spanish accents

2. Likes Matilda, Polar Bear, Marianopolita, cavok liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it! Ilike all these accent posts!

ModeratoršŸŽ„ Spanish Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed! It is a good article.

I have been following the journey by BBC Mundo since they started it in October about Spanish-speaking aspects and the impact in the USA. They have articles about the history of Spanish in the USA to modern day. It is a country that has approximately 41 million native Spanish speakers (and approx 11 million bilingual) which is statistically the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world. Quite phenomenal that number.

The accents are definitely interesting to observe and it also depends where in the USA. Although Mexicans make up the largest Spanish-speaking group their accent is not the predominant one. The media, sports, music etc has a lot to do with the accents that you will hear most commonly on TV, in the media etc. In one of the articles they even mention it. Spanish heard and spoken in Miami and New York and other parts of the East Coast is what is most common. Although I think on the West Coast you will hear mostly Mexican and Central American Spanish.

Here is the BBC Mundo link to the journey. I have been following it in Spanish. I looked at the video they recently posted on Spanglish last night. It is quite on point and I liked the way they also called it el espaƱol de los EEUU. I totally agree. You will hear a range of levels, vocabulary, and fluency and a lot of it is by generation. This is very true in places like Miami. The older population is very much Spanish-speaking (puro) whereas you talk to a group of jĆ³venes and you get a mix of English and Spanish. I often wonder if they can really speak Spanish because it would not pass in a Spanish-speaking country.

Que viva el espaƱol....

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-50160896

-MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 11-27-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Stats
    Moderator Spanish Forum
    Leer es crecer
    DR1.com

ModeratoršŸŽ„ Spanish Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video from BBC Mundo to compliment the article about Spanish accents in the USA.

Joanna Hausmann, in the video imitates the accents quite well especially if you are familiar with them and she also has the zones right.

Common Spanish accents heard in Miami:

1) Cuban - por excelencia

2) Venezuelan- the Venezuelan accent is heard more in more in Miami as the Venezuelan population continues to grow. Take a trip to Doral locally known as Doralzuela

3) Colombian- lots of Colombians in the Kendall area and Coral Gables in my experience. The accent is very distinct. You can't miss it.

In general, Miami is a pot pourri of Spanish accents.

In the greater New York area:

1) Caribbean Spanish- Puerto Rican, Dominican, a little Cuban (in my experience and it is also mentioned in the video) are common accents

2) Mexican- it depends where you are in the greater New York area

-MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 11-30-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    Moderator Spanish Forum
    Leer es crecer
    DR1.com