Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    They are just tourist-cattle. Lower on the cast than residence-cattle.
    Wrong and wrong. You would have needed to see and hear (or better to say overhear) to understand. They were the number one priority event in the whole country as of 4 pm.

2. Likes dulce liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The government should use this as a pretext to go hard against Fenatrano and the others, but... won't happen.

4. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised there aren’t more major accidents involving guaguas given the state of traffic. What a terrible tragedy.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it to be risky business driving in this country. Truth be told, driving is probably the single riskiest endeavor most people routinely undertake, here in the DR or elsewhere in the world. However, in this country, that risk is heightened by poorly maintained vehicles, uneducated and reckless drivers, poor road engineering and conditions, the lack of an effective road hazard warning system (a tree branch or pile of rocks normally) and of course the general driver attitude.

Commercial vehicles are a real problem on the roads and highways here. Those who live near me cannot help but notice the sorry state of many large trucks (the dump truck missing the windshield and most of its front end). We routinely see the tires wobbling at highway speeds, the less than tread bare tires and the seriously overloaded cargoes. I would speculate that commercials buses are in slightly better mechanical shape but I am fairly certain that they are not completely roadworthy all of the time. This is one reason why I am so indignant for having to travel such a large distance to make use of Govt services that should be available to me closer to home - residency renewal for example. I have to roll the dice at regular intervals and there is always the chance that I won't make it home when using the roads in this country.

It would appear that Intrant has deduced some of the factors that contribute to the high driving death rate in this country and has begun to think about solutions. Thinking about them is all that has really been done and it will be a long time before I will be able to climb on a bus here without casting my eyes heavenward and uttering, Yeah though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death..."

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintenance is a huge issue with the trucks out there speeding around. most barely have brake pads left, a lot sound like metal on metal. baldest tires I've ever seen that actually still hold air, they're my biggest worry on the highway by a long shot. couple years ago, Dominican was the most dangerous place to drive in the America's, i think they've come down from the number one seed, but i don't know which country took it now. keep your eyes on the road, like a hawk.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I am right in saying that the bus collided with a truck that had broken down and had stopped. Dominican Today is reporting that this happened because the bus' drive shaft became loose, so the bus driver lost control and collided with the stationary truck. Is that what everyone else is hearing?
    Last edited by TropicalPaul; 11-27-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    It appears from the news that the injured persons are all being taken to public hospitals!! There really should be something in place that injured tourists in events like this are taken to the very best medical facilities and the money side worked out later.

Matilda
    surely residents should be treated equally with tourists when it comes to medical needs in events like this

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    I think I am right in saying that the bus collided with a truck that had broken down and had stopped. Dominican Today is reporting that this happened because the bus' drive shaft became loose, so the bus driver lost control and collided with the stationary truck. Is that what everyone else is hearing?
    Yes, https://listindiario.com/la-republic...ovia-del-coral
    the bus in which the tourists were going failed the cardan axis, which caused the driver to lose control of the vehicle and collide with a Daihatsu truck of a sausage company.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Conflicting reports

Mechanical failure by the bus causing the accident/crash

Around 19 Russian tourists were hospitalized with serious injuries after their bus tipped over on Coral Highway. News reports say the U-joint failed and the Dominican driver lost control over the vehicle. There are reports of a collision with a truck.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The driving in DR statrs with reckless little twits on motos weaving in and out, with no helmets, ignoring red lights and travelling with no license or lights. They go on to become taxists who exhibit the same manners of passing when they have no room, driving on the shoulder, honking horns as if that magically melts traffic.
    Start issuing fines, put real patrol cars on the roads and don't let Uncle Tito off with a 'good-to-see-you-bro' warning.

13. Likes rogerjac liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast