Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Doctor Ramón de Lara,

this is a good one, my wife's mother had surgery there and her Grandpa too (wife's uncle is an Army Colonel).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Rubio, I maybe did not make myself clear. I was not talking about the hospital in Higuey, and there is no doubt that is the best trauma centre in the east, and appears to have done and excellent job. I was talking about those taken to Santo Domingo, and originally the press said they were taken to Dario Contreras Public Hospital. I have been there several times, and I know several who have been there. If I had a choice between there and Plaza de la Salud, for example, I know which I would choose. Now it appears, according to Listin Diario https://listindiario.com/la-republic...-santo-domingo that 22 of the patients have been transferred to the military hospital in the capital. The quote is a little interesting "Los trasladados a Santo Domingo están en el hospital Doctor Ramón de Lara por instrucciones superiores" those transferred to Santo Domingo are in the Dr. Roman de Lara (military hospital) due to instructions from superiors. For information, the military hospital is next to Plaza de la Salud.

Matilda
    I know an excellent neurosurgeon that works at Dario Contreras Public Hospital. He has a few year experience at dealing with accident trauma. My step son was born in that Military hospital.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The transport company Monumental is now offering it's account of events and claims the culprit was truck which was swerving multiple times while travelling.

http://bavarodigital.net/2019/11/27/...ion-embutidos/

But then, there is a voice note with a hearsay from a person witnessing the event who says the bus hit the truck. You don't know which version to believe.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ascribe to the premise that there really is no such thing as a vehicle accident, then fault becomes irrelevant. Both drivers failed to operate their vehicle in such a way as to ensure that the two vehicles did not come into contact with each other.

Advocacy groups and supporters {...} have come to the conclusion it is wrong to refer to a crash or collision as an accident, saying they believe millions of people are being misled to believe that fatalities from car collisions can’t be prevented or avoided since they are an inevitable accident.

In fact, the top causes for road crashes are poor street conditions, distracted driving, drunk or impaired driving, excessive speeding, and negligence on the part of the drivers. All of these causes are preventable.

https://www.lorenzoandlorenzo.com/pe...-not-accident/

5. Likes Peterj liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    If you ascribe to the premise that there really is no such thing as a vehicle accident, then fault becomes irrelevant. Both drivers failed to operate their vehicle in such a way as to ensure that the two vehicles did not come into contact with each other.

Advocacy groups and supporters {...} have come to the conclusion it is wrong to refer to a crash or collision as an accident, saying they believe millions of people are being misled to believe that fatalities from car collisions can’t be prevented or avoided since they are an inevitable accident.

In fact, the top causes for road crashes are poor street conditions, distracted driving, drunk or impaired driving, excessive speeding, and negligence on the part of the drivers. All of these causes are preventable.

https://www.lorenzoandlorenzo.com/pe...-not-accident/
    You forgot complete idiots and absolute morons in case of the top causes for road crashes in the DR .

7. Likes windeguy, drstock, irishpaddy, Dubcreator liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

As reported in the DR1 news article mentioned above, it appears that Dominicans can learn and adapt to different driving conditions and regulations in other countries. There is no reason the same can't happen here, except that the Govt doesn't care enough to enforce the rules. To ensure that everyday the roads are just a little bit safer than the day before drivers need training, it be mandatory to posses a valid driver's license, mechanically sound vehicles and certainty of punishment for those who don't play ball.

For some, being reckless is a choice. I have seen many examples of foreign drivers here doing the exact same things they see Dominicans do and get away with. The difference, the foreigners know better and choose to it anyway.

1) No license, get a hefty fine, 48 hours in jail & lose your vehicle until you have a license
    2) Run a red light, hefty fine, 48 hours in jail, lose your vehicle for a week
    3) Drunk driving, courts throw the book at you and lose your vehicle for six months

Until "they" decide it's time to drag drivers kicking and screaming into the 21st century and to embrace the idea of sharing the road and safe driving, the fault rests with the drivers yes, but the Govt equally. Other priorities I guess, although I can't imagine what those could be. The major issues have been clearly articulated by Intrant, but nothing substantial is done to address them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Until "they" decide it's time to drag drivers kicking and screaming into the 21st century and to embrace the idea of sharing the road and safe driving, the fault rests with the drivers yes, but the Govt equally. Other priorities I guess, although I can't imagine what those could be. The major issues have been clearly articulated by Intrant, but nothing substantial is done to address them.
    I just can't see that happening ever. The critical thing is that a lot of Dominican guys see their cars as a symbol of how powerful and how macho they are. It's the same with the big bikes that a lot of them ride around on at the weekend. Get in a fast car, floor it, jump a red light, that's what makes you a real man. If you tear down a street on your big bike and all the car alarms go off, then that makes you cool and a superhero. It's culture.

10. Dislikes Imbert369 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    The transport company Monumental is now offering it's account of events and claims the culprit was truck which was swerving multiple times while travelling.

http://bavarodigital.net/2019/11/27/...ion-embutidos/

But then, there is a voice note with a hearsay from a person witnessing the event who says the bus hit the truck. You don't know which version to believe.
    They would say that, wouldn't they, but at the same time, the erratic driving explanation sounds completely plausible. It's usually because the driver is using his phone. We see it all the time and there are few accidents considering the number of drivers who have their eyes on the phone instead of on the road.

Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As reported in the DR1 news article mentioned above, it appears that Dominicans can learn and adapt to different driving conditions and regulations in other countries. There is no reason the same can't happen here, except that the Govt doesn't care enough to enforce the rules. To ensure that everyday the roads are just a little bit safer than the day before drivers need training, it be mandatory to posses a valid driver's license, mechanically sound vehicles and certainty of punishment for those who don't play ball.

For some, being reckless is a choice. I have seen many examples of foreign drivers here doing the exact same things they see Dominicans do and get away with. The difference, the foreigners know better and choose to it anyway.

1) No license, get a hefty fine, 48 hours in jail & lose your vehicle until you have a license
    2) Run a red light, hefty fine, 48 hours in jail, lose your vehicle for a week
    3) Drunk driving, courts throw the book at you and lose your vehicle for six months

The magnitude of the DR bad driver problem almost guarantees it will never be dealt with. The jails already filled, can’t accommodate an influx of convicted drivers, so jailing them is not logistically possible. Removing their cars and licenses is futile. They will find other vehicles to drive and I imagine many are driving without licenses anyway. Drunk drivers will find other vehicles to drive and continue driving even if their licence is pulled. Those are common problems in Canada and the US, not just the DR. Even with education and proper enforcement, it’s difficult to eliminate the machismo driving attitude. Government complacency has made the DR style of driving socially acceptable.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree with the DR bad driving culture
    but
    as I read the reports - the bus malfunctioned and crashed into the bus - while out of control.

As for vehicle mtce, that is one of my prime concern on the roads -
    that a vehicle will fail while coming towards me....

Little chance of a defensive response in that case - I fear

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast