Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 147
  1. #71
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    39,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    The key words are "till now". This is not an all bad or all good scenario. All we can do is see if the DR falls into debt traps. If you look at DR1 news today, there are many "loans" that are being approved to finance just about everything in the country. Let's see if China becomes the lender in the future and what has happened in other countries then happens in the DR.
    The DR is already in a "debt trap" with the IMF.

    Every two years the IMF comes in to do an audit, and demand all manner of concessions to approve a roll-over. The latest is "human trafficking." In past years it was equal treatment of Haitians.

    While this is not an asset-based pledge the Chinese are notorious for proposing, it is still a "debt trap."
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  2. Likes Riva_31 liked this post
  3. #72
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So, in theory, could the IMF debt trap be traded for a Chinese debt trap? Like paying off one loan with another loan?

  4. #73
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    39,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    So, in theory, could the IMF debt trap be traded for a Chinese debt trap? Like paying off one loan with another loan?
    More like two Overlords, one an unsecured lender, one secured with a virtual UCC-6 lien on all assets.

    And let's not forget the US also has leverage.

    "As long as you are living under my roof and eating the food I paid for, you will do as I say."
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  5. #74
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    So, in theory, could the IMF debt trap be traded for a Chinese debt trap? Like paying off one loan with another loan?
    Like my ex always using her Mastercard to pay her Visa and using the Visa to pay the Mastercard!

  6. #75
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Deal HD View Post
    Name calling? It was an analogy. You do realize in order to form an analogy... nevermind. You are a bit too emotional. I’ll leave you be. I’m starting to miss adults that act like adults; that recall and use the sticks and stones quote in life. But no, America has become so emotionally driven and confused by it, It came to the point where they forgot how many genders exist.

    But, to appease the emotional beta males here, I shall leave this forum and go back to my normal life of manipulating you people to work jobs for me in America as I spend the dividends lavishly in Russia, the Bahamas, and now the DR. Tootles you emotional fairies...lol
    Only certain people are allowed to call others names on this board been that way for years and probably always will be.

  7. Likes slowmo liked this post
  8. #76
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mr Deal HD, this is DR1, not America1. The people that come here frequently are "different" and certainly not all from the USA. Now back to how and when China will take over the DR. At least the food will improve.

  9. #77
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gag me with a silver spoon. The sentiment of "America the greatest" oozes from the keystrokes from most of the prolific posters on this site and as a result permeates most of the threads DR related or not.

    Your oft repeated refrain, that China debt traps are bad but America's IMF hostage takings are irrelevant is a prime example. I for one believe that the DR and indeed the rest of the "free world would be a lot better off with a lot less America infused perspective on everything from haute cuisine to absolutely everything else.

    Given a choice between jumping into bed with the USA or with China, based on historical precedent alone, going with China just might be the more prudent gamble of the two options. America's self serving, exploitative foreign policies, have alienated much of the world. At least China comes across as the friendly uncle you may not completely trust but America and indeed many of its indoctrinated citizens come off as a bully waving its big stick (sans carrot) around all the time.

    Sorry Windy, I do not see China as the main threat to the Dominican Republic's future economic prosperity. As with all foreign dealings, DR politicians need to be careful and consider the long term ramifications of the deals they sign. Deals with China are not necessarily a bad thing just because they are between China and the DR much to the chagrin of the US who is steadfastly propagandizing China to be their public enemy #1 for the decades to come.

  10. Likes Derfish, ogunjobi123 liked this post
  11. #78
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Gag me with a silver spoon. The sentiment of "America the greatest" oozes from the keystrokes from most of the prolific posters on this site and as a result permeates most of the threads DR related or not.

    Your oft repeated refrain, that China debt traps are bad but America's IMF hostage takings are irrelevant is a prime example. I for one believe that the DR and indeed the rest of the "free world would be a lot better off with a lot less America infused perspective on everything from haute cuisine to absolutely everything else.

    Given a choice between jumping into bed with the USA or with China, based on historical precedent alone, going with China just might be the more prudent gamble of the two options. America's self serving, exploitative foreign policies, have alienated much of the world. At least China comes across as the friendly uncle you may not completely trust but America and indeed many of its indoctrinated citizens come off as a bully waving its big stick (sans carrot) around all the time.

    Sorry Windy, I do not see China as the main threat to the Dominican Republic's future economic prosperity. As with all foreign dealings, DR politicians need to be careful and consider the long term ramifications of the deals they sign. Deals with China are not necessarily a bad thing just because they are between China and the DR much to the chagrin of the US who is steadfastly propagandizing China to be their public enemy #1 for the decades to come.
    When did I ever say one word about the IMF and the USA as not being relevant to the DR? I said they were not relevant to this thread about China.

    You insist upon polluting a thread about Chinese influence in the DR with your incessant rants about the IMF and the USA. You fail to see the lack of logic in your "the US screws everybody argument with the IMF" as it applies to a discussion about China.

    China is indeed a country everyone in the world should be concerned with. And China is not the only country that is true about.

  12. #79
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    39,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Gag me with a silver spoon. The sentiment of "America the greatest" oozes from the keystrokes from most of the prolific posters on this site and as a result permeates most of the threads DR related or not.

    Your oft repeated refrain, that China debt traps are bad but America's IMF hostage takings are irrelevant is a prime example. I for one believe that the DR and indeed the rest of the "free world would be a lot better off with a lot less America infused perspective on everything from haute cuisine to absolutely everything else.

    Given a choice between jumping into bed with the USA or with China, based on historical precedent alone, going with China just might be the more prudent gamble of the two options. America's self serving, exploitative foreign policies, have alienated much of the world. At least China comes across as the friendly uncle you may not completely trust but America and indeed many of its indoctrinated citizens come off as a bully waving its big stick (sans carrot) around all the time.

    Sorry Windy, I do not see China as the main threat to the Dominican Republic's future economic prosperity. As with all foreign dealings, DR politicians need to be careful and consider the long term ramifications of the deals they sign. Deals with China are not necessarily a bad thing just because they are between China and the DR much to the chagrin of the US who is steadfastly propagandizing China to be their public enemy #1 for the decades to come.
    Recognizing your antipathy for America and it's foreign policy (much of with I agree), the fact remains that IMF debt is not going anywhere. In fact, it grows with accrued interest and new slices of IMF cheese.

    I don't see how piling Chinese debt, which tends to be secured with hard assets such as roads, rail lines, ports, etc. on top of IMF debt as a particularly sound economic policy for forward-thinking leaders.

    A weakness in your argument that the DR should be less dependant on the US is betrayed by the fact that there are well over a million Dominicans living in the US and the greater majority of those send $$$billions$$$ every year in hard cash to the DR...and accounts for a disproportionate % of GDP. There is a great economic dependance on the US that has nothing to do with the IMF or China.

    It is impossible for the DR to sever the ties and influence of the US without going full-bore Cuba. And that implausable concept would not work out too well, short or long term.

    Additionally, the track record of DR politicians taking "careful and long-term ramifications into consideration" on any foreign debt is about as wishful as an outdoor ice rink on 27 Febrero in downtown Santo Domingo. These same politicians would be more prone to taking out PayDay loans. In fact, they'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  13. #80
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,067
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well even if it is not a sound economical move by the dr,----- and we can all.agree that the dr politicians do not care as much for their country as for their pockets------ diplomacy wise it is an interesting play.
    A subtle reminder to the US and co that they are not the sole " benefactor".

    If the US deems the dr to be important enough in the grand scheme of things, it may encourage the US to sweeten deals, maybe even close their eyes on the pilfering of the state coffers by the politicos in order to counter the chinese moves.

    Competition is a good thing, right ?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •