Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They can teach the fundamentals of baseball so well they have a major impact in MLB. U.S scouts travel on the regular to the D.R to scout out up and coming talent. I have never seen anyone as enthusiastic as passing down the art of cockfighting. Put an ounce of that passion into schooling and they would be cranking out engineers and doctors by the thousands.

2. Likes johne liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    They can teach the fundamentals of baseball so well they have a major impact in MLB. U.S scouts travel on the regular to the D.R to scout out up and coming talent. I have never seen anyone as enthusiastic as passing down the art of cockfighting. Put an ounce of that passion into schooling and they would be cranking out engineers and doctors by the thousands.
    Yep. I can see the art of cockfighting going nicely with engineering,and doctors. Hmmmmm
    , let me sleep on that. 🤔😎

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    I only know how to respond like this. I spent 20 years as a teacher in grades K-8. Worked as an administrator/director.
    One of my responsibilities was to evaluate teachers for renewed contracts. I started school in Ghana. That school is now ranked one of the top 10 in the country and has an enrollment of 800 students. I started a state and nationally recognized after school program.

I don’t know the right answer for the DR. But I know what will work in my 7 schools where we teach. Lots of people who are not in the battle fighting the fight think they know how to win. I invite all of those individuals to join me. Do what you think will work. Teach kids. Be a role model. Go to homes where there are kids who do not attend school and encourage them to enroll. Inspire them. Just get involved locally.

I always believe that if I know of a problem and I do nothing to help solve it, I become
    Part of the probleM. I choose to be part of the solution. I hope you will be, too.
    I don’t disagree with you, and I understand that this topic is personal for you. I respect your opinion and I’m not aware of any other posters who would have anywhere near to your level of DR specific experience in public schools there.

I ask this with respect for what you are doing on the ground, as we go back and forth to address the issue of this thread. What will a teacher who has no classroom management do with a room full of textbooks? Or what will an engineer do when they have thousands of dollars worth of Math materials, but no idea how to use them to teach?

I am not wealthy, but I do have access to books and teaching materials. If you could give me a general idea of physical materials that could help your work with kids and teachers, PM me. I’m on several different teaching networks, I’m working on funding for about a dozen different projects here, and I have twin three year old boys. But I will make the time to help you. That is, if there is any feasible way to do so that makes sense for you.

I have 2 boxes of English Language books- some are class sets. WestJet still offers free checked bags for donations as far as I know. I can print and assemble pre-K to Grade 7 reading level books in Spanish books in color and bring you as many of those as you would use. If none of that is even on your radar, tell me what is. I would honestly like to help.
    Last edited by Auryn; 12-05-2019 at 11:31 PM.

5. Likes Polar Bear, anng3, AlterEgo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The DR education system is a failed effort. It's neighbor adds significant cost pressures and stresses this and most other government programs. While the increase in financial support is encouraging, expectations of betterment are totally misplaced. If anything, it serves to increase the fraud and corruption within.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auryn View Post
    I don’t disagree with you, and I understand that this topic is personal for you. I respect your opinion and I’m not aware of any other posters who would have anywhere near to your level of DR specific experience in public schools there.

I ask this with respect for what you are doing on the ground, as we go back and forth to address the issue of this thread. What will a teacher who has no classroom management do with a room full of textbooks? Or what will an engineer do when they have thousands of dollars worth of Math materials, but no idea how to use them to teach?

I am not wealthy, but I do have access to books and teaching materials. If you could give me a general idea of physical materials that could help your work with kids and teachers, PM me. I’m on several different teaching networks, I’m working on funding for about a dozen different projects here, and I have twin three year old boys. But I will make the time to help you. That is, if there is any feasible way to do so that makes sense for you.

I have 2 boxes of English Language books- some are class sets. WestJet still offers free checked bags for donations as far as I know. I can print and assemble pre-K to Grade 7 reading level books in Spanish books in color and bring you as many of those as you would use. If none of that is even on your radar, tell me what is. I would honestly like to help.
    Thank you for your willingness to do something to help remedy the problem. I will send you a PM with ideas.

Lindsey

8. Likes Polar Bear, Auryn liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

one of the main reasons why the DR registers such dismal results in these competitive academic circuses is because the system has worked exactly as it was designed to work. the Spaniards created a system in which the privileged few were allowed to get a quality education, while the plebes learned just enough to be able to read the price tags on the units for sale in stores, and to count change. as long as they could provide cheap labor, and vote at election time, the purpose was served.

so, when we read that the DR kids came in 139 out of 140 in list of the participants, look at who they beat...the Philipines ..another Spanish debacle.

does anybody here believe that the kids who screwed up on the maths , reading, and science tests live in Arroyo Hondo and Piantini? how about Naco?

10. Likes NanSanPedro, alexw, johne, caribmike, Auryn liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    one of the main reasons why the DR registers such dismal results in these competitive academic circuses is because the system has worked exactly as it was designed to work. the Spaniards created a system in which the privileged few were allowed to get a quality education, while the plebes learned just enough to be able to read the price tags on the units for sale in stores, and to count change. as long as they could provide cheap labor, and vote at election time, the purpose was served.

so, when we read that the DR kids came in 139 out of 140 in list of the participants, look at who they beat...the Philipines ..another Spanish debacle.

does anybody here believe that the kids who screwed up on the maths , reading, and science tests live in Arroyo Hondo and Piantini? how about Naco?
    Interesting comment.

But there are many other former Spanish colonies. And they scored better than the Dominican Republic. Some of those former colonies are also in Latin America. So if your theory holds true, why is the Dominican Republic the only country that held onto the idea that only the privileged were entitled to a good education?

Lindsey

12. Likes Fulano2 liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comment.

But there are many other former Spanish colonies. And they scored better than the Dominican Republic. Some of those former colonies are also in Latin America. So if your theory holds true, why is the Dominican Republic the only country that held onto the idea that only the privileged were entitled to a good education?

Lindsey
    i took this tidbit from Wiki

Before 1959, of the Cubans over the age of 15 years, 22% were found to be illiterate and 60% of the country was found to be semi-illiterate because many rural Cubans had a third-grade education or less.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post

Interesting comment.

Lindsey
    Lindsey, some people just have an "agenda of the oppressed" and it "must come from outside". You do wonderful work and see every day that this is not the reason why the DR is behind many other former colonies.

The DR has its own throttling mechanism, not unlike some other places with corruption, but here it is especially hard to overcome when it runs through all levels of government from the mayors who sell blacktop all the way to the top who sell contracts to the companies that lay that blacktop.

The DR has had from Restauracion day, and even earlier, until now to overcome this. That is a long time to blame the oppressor, but the oppression actually comes from within.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

think about this...if you go into any furniture store in most towns in this country, you can get all kinds of fancy living room furniture and swanky bedrooms...if you want a bookcase, it will have to be a special order. no market for them. if you walk into the average Dominican home, especially the poorer classes, you will not find a book. maybe a 1000 dollar iPhone, but no books. mom and dad can hardly read, and few have tried to overcome that defect, because education does not get poor people very far in these necks of the woods. baseball and perico do..graduate from Cristo Rey high school and you get to ride a motoconcho...if you are lucky, you get into UASD, graduate with some kind of a diploma, and you get a job at Lifestyles, making 15k every two weeks...

those are among the reasons the DR is always dead last in at least 2 of the 3 categories.

16. Likes alexw, JDJones, Auryn liked this post
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast