Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: home break in

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    When you are not in, no-one is going to do anything about the break-in anyways.......

Obviously they are not going to stand around waiting for you to shoot them........ hence you make it hard-ish for them to gain access to your property, your house, your room, without a lot of noise and time.
    Think in layers.
    I agree with this. We have extra security for our bedroom door, which is always locked and double secured when we’re sleeping, when we’d be most vulnerable. Add the AC that’s usually running, and we might not hear someone in the rest of the house at night. Two of our dogs took it upon themselves to sleep under our bedroom window every night, so no one coming in that way.

Someone here also suggested adding those dummy security cameras outside, with the battery powered red flashing light. Cheap and effective.

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Where did you acquire illegal ammunition like 12 gauge slugs, may I ask?
    You may ask, we have military in the family.

3. Likes TheViking liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I didn’t want to jinx myself by saying that.

Ours is in campo, we built in 1980s, 15 tareas so lots of open areas and only about half of it walled, the rest is barbed wire fencing. We added a wired alarm system after one of our big dogs was poisoned, typical bars on windows. Four dogs outside. So far so good.

Like the OP, we are careful to not be flashy, who we let in, and what we have in the house (maids talk). In our case, it’s a small community and everyone looks out for everyone else, and many have known Mr AE since he was a boy, his parents used to take the family there on weekends to the beach. For the first 20 years or so, they didn’t even know we owned it, they thought it was his mother’s or older brother’s.

Yes, things have been stolen outside. Once an entire harvest of onions disappeared overnight, a massive mahogany tree destined for new doors and trim vanished (probably needed 8-10 guys), and one year our caretaker went to pick yuca and found out only the tops of the plants were in the ground. So it’s not utopia, but as long as they leave us alone inside the house, I can live with it.
    Nightmare.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently we have been leaving 2 dogs outside to roam the grounds around house, and 1 dog----a rottie/pincher mix----under our bed

I am also thinking of installing a metal bar door halfway along the corridor that leads to our room.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good choice. They can get into the house but not in your bedroom.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Recently we have been leaving 2 dogs outside to roam the grounds around house, and 1 dog----a rottie/pincher mix----under our bed

I am also thinking of installing a metal bar door halfway along the corridor that leads to our room.
    Beautiful life.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of trip wire with hand grenades

9. Likes Taylor, DRob liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Careful with that idea ---^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A man in Maine died on Thanksgiving after being shot by his own booby trap at home, authorities said.

Ronald Cyr, 65, called 911 early Thursday evening, telling operators that he had been shot, the Van Buren police department said on Facebook.

Police and medics went to the scene and gave Cyr medical assistance. “Regretfully, Mr Cyr succumbed to the injuries he sustained from the gunshot,” authorities said.

Officers learned that the front door of Cyr’s home was “outfitted with a device designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter the door.”

They discovered “other unknown devices” and subsequently called Maine state police bomb squad.

The agencies investigated Cyr’s home into the early morning hours of 29 November; authorities determined that he was shot “as the result of the unintentional discharge of one of his homemade devices”.

Two people reached by the Guardian, who said they were family members, claimed their brother’s home had long been targeted by burglars and voiced frustration toward authorities.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    Beautiful life.
    You don't say !!!! Wouldn't swap it for anything !!!!!

12. Likes Russell liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    I was thinking of trip wire with hand grenades
    I didn't think we had to point out the obvious

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast