Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: home break in

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean to add that I am so sorry that you lost one of your dogs by poisoning. That happens far too frequently here and it is never easy to watch. It is my fervent hope that karma will catch up with all of the sadists that poison animals.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    Our good friend swears by 10 000 volts connected to the barbed wire on top on his fence. He says it works perfect. And almost every week he has fresh half cooked meat for free.
    the electric wire atop the fence is the only thing that I have seen that is close to 100% effective, you need to have about 2 signs , danger electric fence.. the rest seems to be for your piece of mind..cameras, alarms..dead bolts.. dogs.. the bad guys care little about these... hiding things inside is effective, I have a large Bible next to my bed, large amounts of cash go between the pages....Doc....

3. Likes irsav liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

you've watched Cat Ballou too many times !!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree a safe is just a magnet if it is located where they easily find it. They will just break the concrete and take the safe.
    Put it in the floor under a kitchen cabinet, or maybe in your electrical room or somewhere they won't likely look.
    If you have a bevy of fancy watches or jewelry then a safe may be a good idea. If you have a lot of cash - put it in the bank or in an area which is 'hiding in plain sight'.
    I had a friend who was a Contractor and used to launder a fiend's pot growing money money for a cut. He kept stacks wrapped in tin-foil in the freezer.
    I went to stay with him and took my girlfriend one weekend. He and I went out and left her in his house. She was looking for something to eat and accidentally found the cash.
    Luckily for him she was honest but she excitedly told me about the thousands he had hidden in foil in the freezer.
    I advised him to change his hiding place.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Our good friend swears by 10 000 volts connected to the barbed wire on top on his fence. He says it works perfect. And almost every week he has fresh half cooked meat for free.
    an electrified fence? you had better rethink that one. you had better hope a local does not get killed by it, or you will wish you had gone back home instead.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is maybe stupid but when I'm in DR I always have a few thousand dollars CASH by the bed, my thinking is in case of a break-in better give up the cash (if they already managed to get inside) and hopefully they'll be satisfied with the haul and leave than tell them you have nothing (in their minds all gringo are millionaires) and make the robbers angry.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by user123 View Post
    This is maybe stupid but when I'm in DR I always have a few thousand dollars CASH by the bed, my thinking is in case of break-in better give up the cash and hopefully they'll be satisfied with the haul and leave than tell them you have nothing (in their minds all gringo are millionaires) and make the robbers angry.
    of course that makes sense...nothing stupid about it. if they went to all the trouble to break in, then get nothing, they might just become furious.

9. Likes etolw liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    of course that makes sense...nothing stupid about it. if they went to all the trouble to break in, then get nothing, they might just become furious.
    My thinking exactly.

11. Likes etolw liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    an electrified fence? you had better rethink that one. you had better hope a local does not get killed by it, or you will wish you had gone back home instead.
    I suspect this is another fantasy. Not that the fence may be effective, but the cooked meat story.

The use of lethal fencing is generally reserved for sensitive military installations or nuclear power stations, to guard against technically sophisticated attackers. If that is installed by a homeowner, it is illegal.

Homeowners electric fencing is made up of multiple strands of wire powered by an energiser or transformer. When properly installed and maintained, the energiser creates intermittent electronic pulses of up to 10,000 volts.

Because the electricity flowing through the wires is turned on and off every second, the system is not lethal when touched.

That the fence brings half cooked meat every week, I doubt it. If so, yes the homeowner might be in trouble one day.

A property owner whose electric fencing doesn’t comply with the regulations may face a hefty fine or jail time, especially if the fencing seriously injures someone.

13. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I know of one compound here in SD that has a high voltage fence around the entire compound! don't have any idea what the voltage is but the signs say high voltage. Now I doubt if the owners of the compound have any worries about a local getting fried, as this compound covers almost a square block corner of the Malecón and Máximo Gomez. owned by the Vincini family.
    am sure there might be a few others in Arroyo Hondo

Might be a different story for a xpat.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast