Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: home break in

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default home break in

After 15 years living here, I finally got robbed.

They broke into my house, went through everything, took my computer. Fortunately I was not home so their frustration in not finding anything of value was not taken out on me. (the computer was a low end refurbished one, purchased for $175)

They also took my backpack, and as I had just returned from SD, it had my ID in it - all my ID and credit cards- and they were kind enough to take it all out and leave it. They even took out the receipt for my cedula - the super important one that they give you when you are getting your first Dominican (recently naturalized) one that would have been a massive pain to deal with.

I'm wondering if that was an act of kindness (not taking my ID), or in avoidance knowing that for an old computer I would not bother, where as if they had taken all my ID I would have been down at the police station with $10,000 RD to the first officer to finds it for me.

Anyhow, closing the hole that they used to get in (must have had a very small child with them to fit through and then open the door). Of course I had not been vigilant about getting the cameras fixed, so getting those done as well. They also didn't kill the dog .

Kind of feels like a rights of passage, as it pretty much happens to everyone at some point.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Sorry to hear this. What part of the DR was this? If you care to mention if you had an apartment or freestanding house or other details that could be informative to others, if not I certainly understand privacy issues.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Stealing for Jesus, I call it. (Or stealing by Jesus.) Definitely the time of year when you must be even more watchful.

3. Likes AlterEgo, Russell, Bred liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

deleted

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm wondering if that was an act of kindness (not taking my ID),
    Maybe somebody that knows you? Watch for guilty faces.

Sorry to hear that.

6. Likes Celt202 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

North Coast, near Encuentro - yes a historical hotbed.

I've done all the right things, not involved in gambling/ prostitution / drugs, never had hot issues with Dominican (ie not paying liquidation, no chopiadoras) never had any valuables in the house, never flash money, always relatively low profile (common, we're gringos), collect clothing up north to donate on every trip back ... Don't even keep much money in the bank here as sometimes wonder if it starts with a teller noticing that you have $$

8. Likes irsav, Russell, beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Tis the season! Mid Nov to mid Jan sees a big uptick in robberies, usually more in the easy targets of opportunity.

Glad that you didn't get hit too hard and that you and your dog are OK.

Several security cameras available on Amazon. We upgraded to the Nest system with indoor and outdoor cameras. We can see whats going on using our puters and cell phones and have set up alerts when they see or hear something, depending on how you program them. We only pay for a couple of them to be saved to the cloud for a few days and the others save for a day without a fee.

Also have indoor alarm systems that are cheap on Amazon. Looking at upgrading to wifi systems next year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You were relatively lucky. I know that’s cold comfort but it’s true. Friends of mine left their house vacant in the campo for six months. The thieves took a relaxed approach and, over a period of time, chiseled out the concrete walls and removed all the electrical wire, stripped out the inverter, removed the compressor from the fridge, all lightbulbs, fans, and finally their furniture. Fortunately they had alternate accommodations on their return. They still haven’t made a decision on repairs. They know it will happen again if they invest more money in the house. Despite all that, they still love life in the DR.

11. Likes irsav, Russell, Bred liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Even the best of us can overlook an exploitable weakness as we perform our security audits. If you don't recognize the weakness the first time, you probably won't the next time either. Break-ins suck but you certainly seem to have come through it better off than others I know.

I purchased a few driveway/pathway motion detectors on Amazon. Not much of a deterrent in that these are not really alarms per se but if you are at home you will know someone is approaching your house and if you are not at home, the ongoing doorbell type sounds as the ladrones move about the property may give them pause for sober second thought.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They broke into my house, went through everything, took my computer. Fortunately I was not home so their frustration in not finding anything of value was not taken out on me. (the computer was a low end refurbished one, purchased for $175)

They also took my backpack, and as I had just returned from SD, it had my ID in it - all my ID and credit cards- and they were kind enough to take it all out and leave it. They even took out the receipt for my cedula - the super important one that they give you when you are getting your first Dominican (recently naturalized) one that would have been a massive pain to deal with.

I'm wondering if that was an act of kindness (not taking my ID), or in avoidance knowing that for an old computer I would not bother, where as if they had taken all my ID I would have been down at the police station with $10,000 RD to the first officer to finds it for me.

Anyhow, closing the hole that they used to get in (must have had a very small child with them to fit through and then open the door). Of course I had not been vigilant about getting the cameras fixed, so getting those done as well. They also didn't kill the dog .

Kind of feels like a rights of passage, as it pretty much happens to everyone at some point.
    ...yes there seems to more home robberies every year...never give the police any money, they get a piece of what the bad guys steal. and you paying them could only encourage more house break in...dogs are only for your peace of mind, the bad guys don't care about them..sorry to tell you these things, but are very true..they don't want your cedula or bank cards as that will get them caught..and don't bother with a camera, the police only want to see who robbed you so they can go collect their share, they know most of the bad guys..mostly the way they target your house is they walk around this time of year and watch the places they want to rob, and when they know when you are not home it happens.if they have been successful they will come back, so make some changes...…..Doc......

14. Likes Taylor, slowmo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Prey is inexpensive software to track and lock a stolen laptop or cell phone.

There are others including Norton and Lo Jack.

Worth considering if you gave valuable info on your laptop or cell phone. Often thieves don't want the hardware, they want the info in the hardware.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast