Careful with that idea ---^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OK, I'll skip the trip wire......

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

How not to protect your home and well being ----

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    You may ask, we have military in the family.
    Understood. Not for mere mortals.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bred View Post
    It is a complete crap. Repaired one Arlo system last week. Cameras are wireless and connect to the main base, not to individual routers or repeaters. The signal dies fast if it goes through a wall or two, the 3rd wall stops transmission completely.
    Have 12 cams that we can see on puters and phones with pushed alerts and we can see and control from anywhere with wifi. No problems.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    Have 12 cams that we can see on puters and phones with pushed alerts and we can see and control from anywhere with wifi. No problems.
    What you will be able to do if you see somebody in your home with your cellphone?
    To "see"? - Yes. I agree.
    To "control" ? Hm... Seems a bit doubtful.
    In NY you call 911. In Sosua you call to WHERE?

6. Likes JDJones, Bred liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In this country, you protect yourself and your things. Everything you do be it cameras, bars, good locks, adequate lighting, dogs, land mines, makes you a little bit less vulnerable. Those who don't do enough sometimes experience the dire consequences of those choices.

You may not appreciate the value of a good camera system and I freely admit that cameras alone are not enough, but you shouldn't knock someone else who incorporated a camera or two into their security portfolio. The value of a camera is potentially seeing someone coming or figuring out after the fact who stole the Christmas tree. A camera won't keep the ladrones out of your house and most people realize this.

If nothing else, a camera may be able to tell your relatives how your torso came to rest in the hall and your head on the kitchen counter.

8. Likes rogerjac liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    What you will be able to do if you see somebody in your home with your cellphone?
    To "see"? - Yes. I agree.
    To "control" ? Hm... Seems a bit doubtful.
    In NY you call 911. In Sosua you call to WHERE?
    We can control the cams. Save vids and take pics. Can zoom in. Turn off/on. Adjust clarity. Can hear and talk. We can call our employees, neighbors and 3 police that we know and trust. This also keeps us from walking into our home or entering our property IF we have uninvited "guests". With the new Ring alarm system that we will install, IF someone gets past that, we can set off the alarms. (Our current alarm systems don't connect to wifi and are just an on/off system that we use only at night when at home.)

As I and others have said. LAYERS.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Recently we have been leaving 2 dogs outside to roam the grounds around house, and 1 dog----a rottie/pincher mix----under our bed

I am also thinking of installing a metal bar door halfway along the corridor that leads to our room.
    I've seen this done many times. A steel gate that would take a LOT of effort to get through. One person I know made one that rolled into the wall instead of being hinged.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A cage within a cage within a cage.. when will it end. I live a poor life. Not showy or flashy. Low profile

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't met you rogerjac and I am going to assume that you are a North American or European. Keep in mind that the general stereotype when Dominicans see someone such as yourself, is that you are much more affluent than they are. This may be a completely erroneous assumption on their part, and that's the problem with stereotypes and assumptions.

Someone who knows you may understand that you only have two plates, two glasses and two forks in your home, but others will see a foreigner living in a nondescript casa and assume the crown jewels are inside - or at least a TV that is better than the one they have.
    Last edited by waytogo; 12-08-2019 at 02:28 PM.

13. Likes Russell liked this post
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast