Call for Help from Canadians

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This really has nothing to do with DR but I am hoping the Canadians on the board can help me. I am a diabetic as well as a heart patient. Recently SPLENDA has become available in the US. It is hard to find recipes using this. I used it in a pie the other night, trial and error and it was pretty good. Canada has had it available for seveal years and I am hoping someone can point me to a website or board where I might find recipes. The US site for Slenda has a few but I am looking for more.

I recently went thru cancer treatment and had been concentrating on that but it is time I get the diadetes back under control.

Appreciate any help.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J., No it s not the same. Splenda is a sugar product that does not metabolize as a sugar. It is better for you as it is more natural than Equal or Saccharine products. Thanx tho for the site, I will try some of those recipes as well.

Anna, Thanks, you have given me a really good start.

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Will forward more recipes your way...

Hi El Jefe,
My dad's a diabetic, too but, he's been put on insulin recently due to his age, etc.
I've collected tons of recipes for the Diabetic diet and have got quite a few where Splenda is used an ingredient. Just got to transcribe them to a format I can attach to an email and will forward those on to you soon.
Take care...
Helen

Here's another link to more Splenda recipes. Had edited to provide you with Splenda Canada's website but, read Jane's message and realized that she had already given it to you.

http://lifescan.com/lstext/lsscare/recipes/index.html

Last edited:

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks everyone...I will soon be eating sweet stuff again...now if I could just stay away from the 16 OZ. Ribeye Steaks...

Just goes to prove we have some real helpful folks on this forum that have a lot of distinctive fields of knowledge...even a few who are experts on everything...

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I just came across these while looking for a recipe for my son's bake sale tomorrow.

4 recipes for Diabetics

Does anyone have a good recipe for me? Something kid-friendly, not too time consuming, no weird ingredients. And no nuts.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hi El Jefe!

This has nothing to do with Splenda however if you take sugar in your coffee or use it to sweeten other beverages etc. there is a natural sweetener that has been used for centuries in South America. It is called Stevia and can be found in health food stores.
It is 300x sweeter than sugar and has a slight licorice after-taste. I use it in coffee, teas, lemonades etc. and any place where you would use sugar without needing the "bulking" effect. Most health food stores have a collection of recipes for using this product.
I sprinkle it on things like oatmeal and cereals and it has really cut my dependance on sugar.
I don't think I need to add any recipes to this thread as you have been given lots so far.
Good luck on your diet.