Page 120 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1241
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    ... and been an instance target by his sons, friends, etc.
    exactly...these people have family, who will come after you with a vengeance. she would be a target of rank and file Dominicans, who would not exactly take a shine to a gringa putting one of their compatriots in jail. he doesn't understand the culture here..

2. Likes belkis, debinatore, JDJones liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    Lindsay could have gotten out easy.
    A woman in the DR just has to scream that her husband hits her and he's put in jail.
    He didn't have any money so she could have kept him in there till she'd settled her affairs.
    She was smart and she certainly knew this but I reckon her soft heart kept her from doing so.

I tried and was imprisoned myself until I paid the swines - times have either changed or I don't know the right people

4. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Look, all this needed for a much different outcome was for Lindsay to email Harley or some other friend stating she was in trouble and needed help. Asking that they come and pick her up. She and the dogs pile into the vehicle when "the men" were out gallivanting and head for Santiago. A quick stop at the bus station to purchase a ticket to Haiti on her credit card and then its off to the friend's house to decompress, plan next steps and re-home the dogs.

As long as she isn't out and about where she can be recognized and as long as she doesn't tell anyone with a big mouth where she is, she'll be just fine for the short term.

Once safe either here or in some other country, she could deal with the real estate sale. Lawyers courier documents for signatures around the globe all the time. Lindsay wouldn't be living on the street so even if the sale of the JD property fell through or was postponed (what a beautiful way to stick it to the Ex) it wouldn't be the end of her world.

The decision to take action to save yourself isn't complicated unless the person makes it complicated. One step at time, one decision at a time until circumstances are conducive for a more long term approach. Unfortunately in times of stress people lose sight of the forest for the trees.

All I know for sure is that if she wasn't still living in Moncion on Dec 10th.... Sigh, she just ran out of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    Lindsay could have gotten out easy.
    A woman in the DR just has to scream that her husband hits her and he's put in jail.
    He didn't have any money so she could have kept him in there till she'd settled her affairs.
    She was smart and she certainly knew this but I reckon her soft heart kept her from doing so.
    The problem is she built up an image of the happy expat in a wonderful relationship, and as an authority on how to avoid the pitfalls of sankies.

To leave would mean admitting defeat.

There could be more about Danilo coming out that will also shock. We'll see where the investigation goes.

Bottom line is a wonderful, kind person is gone, the world lost a shinig star and these four need the brutal club of justice.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    The problem is she built up an image of the happy expat in a wonderful relationship, and as an authority on how to avoid the pitfalls of sankies.

To leave would mean admitting defeat.
    Was thinking the same.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    You are giving him way to much credit. You really think they planned to exhume and move the body? Come on.

He may have wanted the whole enchilada. The entire 500k.

He was tired of being "under" her.

He always felt inferior to her in many aspects.

His dependence on her turned to abject resentment and his only perceived out was her demise.

He got tired of lying to her every second of every day

He got tired of begging her for more money.

His kids hated and resented her.

He felt he didnt need her anymore now that she made him a lawyer.

The list is endless. Feel free to add-on.
    I suspect the average Dominican male like the economic advantage a foreign woman may provide, but at some point his macho ego may rebel.
    Cabin Attendant,

8. Likes Jenny429, JDJones liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 50 Ways to leave your lover...

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Jimenez D View Post
    While I never met Lindsay, she answered an adoption add for my then 2 yr.old great dane back in 2012. We exchanged a couple of emails but I ended up staying in DR and keeping the dog.
    In reviewing these emails, she wrote about her first book getting published soon, and I told her I was finishing one(book)also.
    These are her words:

"Glad you here you don’t have to give Blacky up! We were looking forward to having him but I am sure we will find another.
    Of course I will help with your book – my book on my 10 years here is about to be published, but there is definitely one needed on sankies!"

Maybe now...back then she had written a great book and it wasn't good timing, so I didn't pursue it, but I had started a fb page and bought the domain "Sankified", my goal was to inform and educate because knowledge is power and coming forewarned to a tropical paradise might lessen your chances of falling prey. Facing certain cultural differences with a proactive attitude might make a difference, and walking away from uncomfortable situations always my solution.

I so wish she had walked away, she had everything going for her, including exceptional friends, incredible talent and the ability to help many. She made a difference and will continue to do so for each one of us she touched.
    So we know love is blind not just here, everywhere...it seems some people take longer to react when they start feeling something is not quite right, and that can make all the difference in the world. There are several recent publicized cases here detailing how women murdered were planning to move away from their murderers, but their timing was wrong.
    Just as if your house caught on fire, after an initial appraisal of the situation and realization of your inability to control it, walk away or better run as fast as you can...don't look back. Forget what people may think or say about that, no one should feel threatened in their home, and no one really knows how threatened you feel.

That is the message that hopefully will be remembered...don't wait, walk away!

10. Likes Jenny429, JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    Was thinking the same.
    Many of us have mentioned the same considerations in previous posts. Wishing to save face is a cultural imperative in places such as Japan and I expect here among Dominicans and other nationalities as well.

Like so many other women around the world, our friend was unable (for whatever reasons) to extricate herself from a deadly set if circumstances. Rarely is there a single knowable reason leading to the culmination of a series of events and circumstances. I can only hope that somewhere, sometime in the future someone else will remember our friend and be emboldened to make the jump to safety before their own circumstances overtake them with a similar finality.

12. Likes KyleMackey, sylindr, debinatore, JDJones liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish Lindsay was here to speak for herself in response to the many people here speaking for her.
    Such a sad final chapter to her 3rd book this is.

14. Likes AlterEgo, JDJones, JDFriend, Auryn liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    I wish Lindsay was here to speak for herself in response to the many people here speaking for her.
    Such a sad final chapter to her 3rd book this is.
    I wish she had left Danilo when it became clear that he represented a threat to her life, but she didn't.

The post-mortems serve as a cold warning to others contemplating a similar relationship.

There is no disrespect of Lindsay intended. Au contraire...
    Cabin Attendant,

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    there are law degrees and then there are law degrees. i don't think he studied for his at Yale.
    Right. Lawyer, my a**. How many "lawyers" like that are roaming the DR, not better than any other crap originating from some barrio? Candy, Guzmán Ariza, THAT are lawyers.

17. Likes JDJones liked this post