Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djdaveq View Post
    Hi All,

I am american with a property here in DR in Samama province. I had a baby with a domincan girl. My baby is 2 and is a legal US citizen with a US passport. I do not have residency but have been in DR a few months now to help take care of my small baby.

Im NOT interested in taking my baby out of the country far away from his mother, that would be cruel. I AM interested in having some sort of custody. The situation is simply his mother lives with me in my house now but shes always threatening to leave me and go VERY FAR away like 5 hours with DR and take the baby with her. I'm tired of these threats and want to in advanvce settle some sort of custody. Preferably full custody as she has no job and only bounces around other peoples houses here and there with no stablity and no money. Shes a bit of an alcoholic. I am a hard working stable provider and I want to protect my son. Is there anything I can do without residency? Or do i need residency? Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance.
    A question best suited for a good lawyer specializing in such matters. Best of success.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Rey de Mangu View Post
    Your only option is to solicit the child courts (Fiscalia de Ninos, Ninas y Adolecentes - NNA) in the province where you reside. You would have to appear before the magistrate (mother and father) and cut an agreement. It is nearly impossible that they would give custody to the father, whether foreigner or Dominican national. You do have the right to a court appointment though.

Furthermore, no courts wants to hear the father (or male party) committing character assassination on the mother (or female party). This means hinting at, accusing, etc, that the mother is of a particular nature (i.e. drug user, street whore, or any other low-moral-type).

This, to me, sounds more like ego than anything else.
    it also sounds like the judge might ask you why it is that you chose to have a child with a person of such character and other personal deficiencies. go easy on the ''i am better suited than she is'', and let the judge figure it out. as a foreigner, going before a Dominican judge, and trashing a member of Dominican womanhood might not end well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    It is not impossible. I have had full custody of my daughter for the past 6 years.

I know others, Dominican fathers, who have full custody of their child. A friend of mine who is a supervisor at a cable company is one of them. His daughter is 3 years old and he's got the custody.

A lot of what was said in this thread is nonsense.
    i just get this sneaky feeling that you can get things done that the OP might not be able to do...wink wink...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In many jurisdictions, the Mother is a favored party in custody issues. She gave birth to the child so gets the benefit of any doubt. To be granted sole custody the reasons need to be substantial and well documented. It is not enough to suggest that mom is a drug addict, you need to show arrests for drug possession, videos of her partying with Juan with the child nearby. You need examples of mom leaving the kid in a hot car while she goes in to get her nails done, a provable and ongoing pattern of neglect, a pattern of unsafe behavior or not providing the essentials for life.

If you can prove the mother is a bad parent, you have a chance. If you just have allegations and no documented evidence to support your claims, you'll lose every time.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    It is not impossible. I have had full custody of my daughter for the past 6 years.

I know others, Dominican fathers, who have full custody of their child. A friend of mine who is a supervisor at a cable company is one of them. His daughter is 3 years old and he's got the custody.

A lot of what was said in this thread is nonsense.
    Agreed. Another foreigner who shared his successful custody saga was Frank Recktenwald.

Let’s wait for Sr Guzman to reply please.

Admin
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ogunjobi123 View Post
    Sad that he asks for help and yall want to see her side of the story. This is why some people don't ask for help. She isn't going to go anywhere if she does let her go. Its hell trying to be a good parent to a child with a significant other that is a alcoholic or uses the kid as a bargaining tool. Or cut her a check every month and have a agreement.
    Sounds like a familiar Dominican story...…...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12