Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs on Buses

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dogs on Buses

My wife and I are coming to the DR for the first time early in January, bringing our dog. We will be relying on public transport to get around and would like to know what to expect with regard to bringing the dog with us. Are they allowed on buses and if so, is there a charge payable?

Thanks, Chris.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmagor View Post
    My wife and I are coming to the DR for the first time early in January, bringing our dog. We will be relying on public transport to get around and would like to know what to expect with regard to bringing the dog with us. Are they allowed on buses and if so, is there a charge payable?

Thanks, Chris.
    Are we talking here about a little pocket pup who fits in a tote bag, or a dog on a leash? Dominicans are afraid of dogs, I’d really be surprised if they allow one on a bus..

Admin
    DR1.com

3. Likes Derfish, JDJones, Rosss liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chris.
    that is not going to go over well in this country.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In general Dominicans do not view dogs the same as Americans or Europeans.
    They view them as a lower animal and unclean. Rarely bond with dogs as family members.
    A chicken would be no problem.

6. Likes rogerjac liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    In general Dominicans do not view dogs the same as Americans or Europeans.
    They view them as a lower animal and unclean. Rarely bond with dogs as family members.
    A chicken would be no problem.
    exactly. they will not accept a dog in their space..

8. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You'e only real option will be to find a taxi driver who is prepared to transport you and your dog and call him every time you want to go somewhere.

No dogs on intercity buses, guaguas, or publico taxis. Rethink your desire to bring your dog. I get that it is difficult to leave a child at home but find a kennel for your dog and enjoy your trip rather than fret about the dog from the moment you get here to the moment you land back home.

10. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this doesn't sound promising! She is a medium sized mixed breed, so not a pocket pup!

So if not going to be allowed on buses, how about taxis?

12. Likes JDJones liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this doesn't sound promising! She is a medium sized mixed breed, so not a pocket pup!

So if not going to be allowed on buses, how about taxis?
    Even if you find a taxi, where are you going? You won’t be able to bring the dog into most places. You should also know the DR is teeming with street dogs, unleashed. They are everywhere, even beaches.

Admin
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Visiting for almost three months, so kenneling the dog is not an option!

We will try to find a dog-friendly taxi driver and/or deal with the limitations.

15. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Visiting for almost three months, so kenneling the dog is not an option!

We will try to find a dog-friendly taxi driver and/or deal with the limitations.
    you can't just ''deal with the limitations''. things will be far more restrictive than you think. you cannot get your dog into a carrito, because they carry seven people, including the driver. you would have to get an empty one and pay for all the seats. you cannot get him on one of those 15 seater buses which carry 30 people...and good luck trying to bring a dog on Caribe Tours, or Metro.

this is not going to be easy doings..

17. Likes JDJones liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast