process servers?

peckerino

May 30, 2002
Is there a process server system in the DR? I need to serve my wife with divorce papers.

Thanks!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Process service in the Dominican Republic is done through "alguaciles", gov't appointed officers of the courts. Contact with an "alguacil" is usually made through a law firm.

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
Domestic International Law may applies.

If you divorce petition is issued out of a foreign jurisdiction such the USA, then you will need to go through your consular services in the DR. If you divorce petition is being issued out a foreign jurisdiction then if you served your ex-wife directly, it is not valid service since you are in a foreign jurisdiction. Domestic international law applies.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Publication Notice

If you're in the U.S. why can't you just serve her by publication notice. Happens all the time here in Illinois.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Pub Notice

Off the top my my bald head without the stautute being in front of me, the petitioner need only state that the respondent has moved from the State of Illinois and with due diligence, the residence of the respondent cannot be ascertained, or in the alternative, the respondent has moved and remains in the State of Illinois and the residence of that respondent cannt be found. Notice must then be published in a newspaper of general circulation published at least weekly in the county in which the action has been commenced, once a week for three consecutive weeks. I don't do publicaiton notice that often so I always refer to the statute before publishing but that's my best recollection. Trust me, I'm a lawyer.