Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Ticket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving Ticket

Today I was driving near La Duarte in Santo Domingo. I took a right up a street for 1 block and then turned onto the road below la 27. Apparently, this one block is a one way, which converts into a two way, but after getting out of my car and snapping photos up and down the street there is no sign until yet 1 more block down the road stating this is a one way. Since there were no cars parked on the road nor traffic in my direction, it was not obvious and there was no immediate signage stating otherwise. An AMET officer pulled me over and tried to get me to pay, I just asked for a ticket instead. He only noted the information on my foreign USA license and my the license plate of my rental car.

The question is: what options do I have for this ticket? Pay, ignore it, fight it, etc? Would like to know what would potentially happen in each case. I am not a resident, just on a tourist visa. I am from the USA and driving with my US license. I was driving a rental car. I come down to the Dominican Republic 2-3 times a year for vacation.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

How much did he want you to pay? In these cases ill hand him 200 pesos and go about my day. I dont have time to worry about a traffic ticket when i can give him 4 little bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    How much did he want you to pay? In these cases ill hand him 200 pesos and go about my day. I dont have time to worry about a traffic ticket when i can give him 4 little bucks.
    I don’t know, there were 3 of them. Threatening the usual: can’t leave country, car towed, etc. I didn’t even ask, it was probably more than 200, with 3 people involved.

Anyways, that’s not a solution at this point.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a ticket.... a real ticket
    it will say what the fine is.

Take the ticket to Ban Reservas and pay it....

then you're done

Some will say - don't bother paying
    that might work too.... or not

Your call...........

Paying works - for sure

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a ticket years ago for going through a red light. Canadian license, someone elses car. Still waiting for something to happen. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Likes TheViking liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by financeprofessional View Post
    I don’t know, there were 3 of them. Threatening the usual: can’t leave country, car towed, etc. I didn’t even ask, it was probably more than 200, with 3 people involved.

Anyways, that’s not a solution at this point.
    You only pay 1 person and tell the rest no if they ask. Usually they dont. Dont give them more than 200 pesos. I guess thats good info for next time. But yeah at this point you have to go to the bank and pay the ticket. Forewarning, that line will be long.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    If you have a ticket.... a real ticket
    it will say what the fine is.

Take the ticket to Ban Reservas and pay it....

then you're done

Some will say - don't bother paying
    that might work too.... or not

Your call...........

Paying works - for sure
    if he knew what the lines at Banreservas look like, he would have been happy to give the cop 200 pesos. the fine is probably more than that, and why lose 2 hours standing in a line over less than 5 USD?

9. Likes Wishing you well, JDJones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    if he knew what the lines at Banreservas look like, he would have been happy to give the cop 200 pesos. the fine is probably more than that, and why lose 2 hours standing in a line over less than 5 USD?
    I spoke with my lawyer friend down here. I plan on doing nothing. Thanks for all the responses, I’ll let you know if something ever comes of it

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    You only pay 1 person and tell the rest no if they ask. Usually they dont. Dont give them more than 200 pesos. I guess thats good info for next time. But yeah at this point you have to go to the bank and pay the ticket. Forewarning, that line will be long.
    Most of the time they only want lunch money...……….

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    ahh ...but you forget Gorgon ...he is a finance professional

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast