Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: internet issues

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile internet issues

I've had Claro internet for more than 2 years in the POP area. The maximum speed available where I used to live was 10 mbps down and 1 mbps up which is terrible but good enough for most things (with some teeth gritting). Now I've moved about 5 minutes from where I used to live and although I still have allegedly the same "service" (and one must use that word loosely when dealing with Claro) speeds are intermittent and the impact to function has been discouraging, particularly with respect to videos. Also, internet cuts out intermittently at times but at others doesn't. I've even tried hooking my laptop up to the modem with an ethernet cable but same issues.

I keep asking Claro why they can't get fiber optic service throughout POP and get a different non-helpful answer each time. In any event, fiber optic does not seem to be on the horizon.

I did investigate Puerto Plata Cable and was initially hopeful when I saw that they offer a cable internet package with 30 down and 3 up (or something similar). I was crushed when they told me that they don't have a cable on my street (but do have one a block away apparently - sooooooo close). I'm considering going back in and asking how much it would cost to run a cable to my house but I'm not sure if that's an option.

So, can anyone tell me if switching to Orange/Altice would be worth it? Any faster? More reliable connection?

Are there are any other internet providers or options that I'm not aware of? Is there any sort of equipment that would boost the Claro signal? I'm not tech savvy at all unfortunately and am incredibly frustrated by the slow speeds here. When I'm in North America I get 150 down and 25ish up I think - huge difference. lol

I actually require a reliable connection with a minimum speed of at least 10/1 for professional communications. If this was just a Netflix glitch I could just chill and drink rum punches when the internet sucks but sadly duty calls.

Any info would be muy appreciated.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Altice is great

Quote Originally Posted by PandoraB View Post
    I've had Claro internet for more than 2 years in the POP area. The maximum speed available where I used to live was 10 mbps down and 1 mbps up which is terrible but good enough for most things (with some teeth gritting). Now I've moved about 5 minutes from where I used to live and although I still have allegedly the same "service" (and one must use that word loosely when dealing with Claro) speeds are intermittent and the impact to function has been discouraging, particularly with respect to videos. Also, internet cuts out intermittently at times but at others doesn't. I've even tried hooking my laptop up to the modem with an ethernet cable but same issues.

I keep asking Claro why they can't get fiber optic service throughout POP and get a different non-helpful answer each time. In any event, fiber optic does not seem to be on the horizon.

I did investigate Puerto Plata Cable and was initially hopeful when I saw that they offer a cable internet package with 30 down and 3 up (or something similar). I was crushed when they told me that they don't have a cable on my street (but do have one a block away apparently - sooooooo close). I'm considering going back in and asking how much it would cost to run a cable to my house but I'm not sure if that's an option.

So, can anyone tell me if switching to Orange/Altice would be worth it? Any faster? More reliable connection?

Are there are any other internet providers or options that I'm not aware of? Is there any sort of equipment that would boost the Claro signal? I'm not tech savvy at all unfortunately and am incredibly frustrated by the slow speeds here. When I'm in North America I get 150 down and 25ish up I think - huge difference. lol

I actually require a reliable connection with a minimum speed of at least 10/1 for professional communications. If this was just a Netflix glitch I could just chill and drink rum punches when the internet sucks but sadly duty calls.

Any info would be muy appreciated.
    I use it for 2 years in Nagua 100 MB/S down very rare

3. Likes PandoraB liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The next time you decide to move, find a place in a location with fiber available.

The vast majority of Dominican families cannot afford or would not choose to spend the money on a fiber internet hookup. This is usually why the foreigner enclaves get fiber service before most other locations.

5. Likes PandoraB liked this post
    Dislikes DR Solar disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Even my "foreigner enclave" does not have CLARO fiber available yet despite being on the main north coast highway. I ask when it is coming and they say they do not know. Claro reduced my cable modem speeds. I asked why and they told me I was too far away to get the speed I was asking about. I had the speed with no problems for years. Neither I nor CLARO moved at all, but now I was too far away. Some really dumb people at CLARO.

Cable del Norte fiber was available over a year ago and I got it within a week.

7. Likes PandoraB, beachcomber liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Claro beat Delancer into Lomas Mironas and Sea Horse years before Delancer got around to it. Yet, Delancer now has fiber in many places that Claro does not. It's hit and miss. I wouldn't be surprised if very few in your enclave use Claro as their cable TV provider so it may appear to Claro that fiber to that neighborhood isn't cost effective. Typical short sighted thinking, that completely overlooks the "if you build it they will come" philosophy for increasing and holding onto customers.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

People talk about fiber here like its the be all end all. Remember, we are on an island. All original signals are coming via satellite.

Fiber or dsl is only creating connectivity to the original signals.

The infrastructure behind the fiber is all decaying DR infrastructure. Yes, Claro and others are always doing upgrades, whatever that means.

100 up is a myth. It's all marketing it doesnt exist. The most you will get semi clean on the North coast is good old 10. A clean 10 is great.

10. Likes PandoraB liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Claro beat Delancer into Lomas Mironas and Sea Horse years before Delancer got around to it. Yet, Delancer now has fiber in many places that Claro does not. It's hit and miss. I wouldn't be surprised if very few in your enclave use Claro as their cable TV provider so it may appear to Claro that fiber to that neighborhood isn't cost effective. Typical short sighted thinking, that completely overlooks the "if you build it they will come" philosophy for increasing and holding onto customers.
    CLARO has no cable TV here at all. Satellite only if you want CLARO. CLARO land based internet is through DSL modem, hence my story of CLARO dropping a long existing speed lower because I was too far away and neither of us had moved. When I explained you dropped my speed because I am too far away, yet neither of us changed locations, they just did not understand. That is really stupid and does go a long way to explaining their "I don't know" answer to installing fiber. Cable Del Norte required a one year commitment to have it installed. I am well over that time now and still no movement from CLARO for fiber of any kind.

The only land line TV provider here now is CableDelNorte with fiber replacing regular cable.

CLARO would blow CablDelNorte away on price for a given speed on fiber if it was here.

12. Likes PandoraB liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why i live in the capitol. My internet averages around 70mbps which is lightning fast on the island.

14. Likes PandoraB liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha? So many with so many real answers.... that aren't real. Some not even close. LOL.

We have very little problem with internet and have a backup solution that all works fine.

Go figure it out.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    People talk about fiber here like its the be all end all. Remember, we are on an island. All original signals are coming via satellite.
    Most internet here comes by underwater cables. If interested - here is an interactive map -
    https://www.submarinecablemap.com

To the original poster - there is always a way to relay high speed internet from the neighbouring area that has good service. All you need is a line of sight and a point-to-point wireless bridge. That is how I got fiber speeds from Lomas Mironas to my house where fiber wasn't available at that time (years ago).

17. Likes ctrob, ljmesg, PandoraB, TheViking, beachcomber liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast