Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post

Thinking or any ability to be competent at anything but paying is not necessary.

And don't have the money to live back in the South of France.

Next?
    fascinating. please say more. what is so great about s. of France? expensive? also...thinking is...superfluous...maybe even an impediment in DR?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You sound like a person who is happy just to be left alone. Kudo's to you.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I married a Dominicana and after she moved to Canada for 12 years we moved to Jarabacoa to keep her school going, as the director she hired was less than honest, although she did do a reasonable job of running the school. We travel several times a year and have scouted out many alternatives to live in. As long as her mother is alive we we will be here. Weather in Jarabacoa is pretty close to perfect, the women are pretty, if you are a gardener you can have amazing flowers and fruits year round. Cars are expensive but relatively cheap to repair. Very important to speak or understand Spanish. Just did a Cruise for seven days from La Romana to 4 other islands and the price was good and no need to fly to Miami to catch the boat. For me the downsides are the horrible driving habits and light fingered attitude of many of the locals.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor51 View Post
    You sound like a person who is happy just to be left alone. Kudo's to you.
    This person reminds me of someone. Read well.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

..I am from from the planet Zantar, by way of the USA..In the DR writing a script for my new movie..Last Tango in Sosua…..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I married a Dominicana and after she moved to Canada for 12 years we moved to Jarabacoa to keep her school going, as the director she hired was less than honest, although she did do a reasonable job of running the school. We travel several times a year and have scouted out many alternatives to live in. As long as her mother is alive we we will be here. Weather in Jarabacoa is pretty close to perfect, the women are pretty, if you are a gardener you can have amazing flowers and fruits year round. Cars are expensive but relatively cheap to repair. Very important to speak or understand Spanish. Just did a Cruise for seven days from La Romana to 4 other islands and the price was good and no need to fly to Miami to catch the boat. For me the downsides are the horrible driving habits and light fingered attitude of many of the locals.
    interesting. for me, the worst part of visiting Canada is having to return to the U.S....

7. Likes Derfish liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone told me the DR was inexpensive.
    By the time I found out the truth I liked the North Coast.

Living here permanently would be a mental death sentence but Miami and normal is only two hours away.

9. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i am an artist.

unfortunately, none of the most affordable countries have a large number of people who can, or are even interested in buying paintings and such.

i am looking for a place that is cheaper than the states for living, not so many guns, and where i can paint naked ladies.

without going to jail or being stoned.

seriously.

11. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe9 View Post
    i am an artist.

unfortunately, none of the most affordable countries have a large number of people who can, or are even interested in buying paintings and such.

i am looking for a place that is cheaper than the states for living, not so many guns, and where i can paint naked ladies.

without going to jail or being stoned.

seriously.
    If you are looking at the DR and the ability to survive as a painter, I would suggest living elsewhere.

If you still need to work for a living, this is not a place to come to unless you can work on line. I came here to be retired at 48 years of age in 2003 since it costs far less to live here than California, where I would have remained for its far better weather if I had significantly more money.

Oh, there are plenty of guns here. Lots of them illegal.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe9 View Post
    fascinating. please say more. what is so great about s. of France? expensive? also...thinking is...superfluous...maybe even an impediment in DR?
    Anywhere from Aix to the Cote d'azur is unpayable by normal humans,Nice is becoming an oligarch haven but just a few kilometers inland life is still provincial France.

Most North Americans could not survive the lack of fast food outlets and lack of ketchup on the tables and they speak 'foreign'.

You have to go there to know why it's great.
    But living there as I do here is not possible financially for me.

By 'thinking is superfluous' means don't try to second guess the logic, or lack of,many actions and decisions taken here.Just roll with it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast