Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe9 View Post
    hi.
    who is here from a different country?

what brings you to D.R.?

as opposed to another country to expatriate to?
    Because we want to teach our Dominican brothers (and sisters). And to share with them good life.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe9 View Post
    i am looking for a place that is cheaper than the states for living, not so many guns, and where i can paint naked ladies.

without going to jail or being stoned.

seriously.
    The DR is full of guns. Unfortunately the overwhelming majority are not
    in the hands of law abiding citizens. I'd be careful painting naked ladies
    down here, paint the wrong one and your life could remain forever changed.

3. Likes Caonabo, Bronxboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would not have been my first choice. I did want to get away from the cold northeast winters we have in the US. I had visited a few Caribbean islands, not this one, I fell in love with year round nice weather, beautiful beaches and lovely mountains ( not to mention exotic women). All my life I wanted to live where the mountains met the sea. You can do that in Maine or on the west coast but both are cold. 14 years ago a business opportunity presented itself. Having never been to the DR I quit my well paying job, sold my house, reduced all my belongings to what would fit in two suitcases and moved here site unseen. The language barrier is still a problem but Jamaicans were difficult to understand too. The business opportunity did not work out but I still loved it here on the north coast. You would think that in 14 years I would have seen more of the country but I have not ventured elsewhere often. I found a great woman, built a house and settled down. I had to spend my summers working in the US to afford this lifestyle but it was well worth it to only see ice in a freezer. I am now retired and live comfortably yet modestly off my SS pension. Who knows what a different place would have yielded? I am happy and grateful.

5. Likes bob saunders, zoey_kat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veraugamike View Post
    It would not have been my first choice. I did want to get away from the cold northeast winters we have in the US. I had visited a few Caribbean islands, not this one, I fell in love with year round nice weather, beautiful beaches and lovely mountains ( not to mention exotic women). All my life I wanted to live where the mountains met the sea. You can do that in Maine or on the west coast but both are cold. 14 years ago a business opportunity presented itself. Having never been to the DR I quit my well paying job, sold my house, reduced all my belongings to what would fit in two suitcases and moved here site unseen. The language barrier is still a problem but Jamaicans were difficult to understand too. The business opportunity did not work out but I still loved it here on the north coast. You would think that in 14 years I would have seen more of the country but I have not ventured elsewhere often. I found a great woman, built a house and settled down. I had to spend my summers working in the US to afford this lifestyle but it was well worth it to only see ice in a freezer. I am now retired and live comfortably yet modestly off my SS pension. Who knows what a different place would have yielded? I am happy and grateful.
    Sounds like you were proactive and ended up in a happy place.

7. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Someone told me the DR was inexpensive.
    By the time I found out the truth I liked the North Coast.

Living here permanently would be a mental death sentence but Miami and normal is only two hours away.
    How can you even think of putting those two words in the same sentence?

9. Likes thompstr, Celt202, JDJones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same thing Normal is what is usual for someone, not necessarily for most people.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Started about 10 years ago looking for a place to spend the winter when I retire. Took a few trips to Cuba but the lack of access to the internet drove me away.

Next up was Jamaica but it was a little too expensive for me to live and felt a bit too dangerous.

Next up is the DR which feels safe enough, has the internet and the price is right. The expats have been fun to meet and if you have a wee bit of people skills, it isn't hard to meet good people. The downside is the attitude of people like the taxi mafia and anybody else who has been trained to get every last peso out of you. Being in Sosua, it has been very hard to get used to the police chasing women down the street, throwing them in the back of a pick up and carted off to jail for no reason. Still come back once in a while to hang out with my expat friends.

Been spending most of my vacation time lately in Colombia because of the weather and the price is right. Believe it or not but taxi drivers in Colombia actually can make change for you. Retirement is any day now and it looks like 75% Colombia and 25% DR.

12. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that Colombia has it's virtues. I have chosen to make my bed here and I sleep in it comfortably. May your eventual retirement home be above your expectations as mine has been.

14. Likes slowmo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo View Post
    Started about 10 years ago looking for a place to spend the winter when I retire. Took a few trips to Cuba but the lack of access to the internet drove me away.

Next up was Jamaica but it was a little too expensive for me to live and felt a bit too dangerous.

Next up is the DR which feels safe enough, has the internet and the price is right. The expats have been fun to meet and if you have a wee bit of people skills, it isn't hard to meet good people. The downside is the attitude of people like the taxi mafia and anybody else who has been trained to get every last peso out of you. Being in Sosua, it has been very hard to get used to the police chasing women down the street, throwing them in the back of a pick up and carted off to jail for no reason. Still come back once in a while to hang out with my expat friends.

Been spending most of my vacation time lately in Colombia because of the weather and the price is right. Believe it or not but taxi drivers in Colombia actually can make change for you. Retirement is any day now and it looks like 75% Colombia and 25% DR.

Where in Colombia would you recommend?

I liked Cartagena but don't know much else.

I'm totally bored with Sosua and the antics of the Keystone Cops.

16. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    Where in Colombia would you recommend?

I liked Cartagena but don't know much else.

I'm totally bored with Sosua and the antics of the Keystone Cops.
    Medellin or Santa Marta

18. Likes mofongoloco liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast