Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: why

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    Where in Colombia would you recommend?

I liked Cartagena but don't know much else.

I'm totally bored with Sosua and the antics of the Keystone Cops.
    I don't like the heat much so Medellin is my choice due to the cooler temperature in the mountains. No beach but you can fly most anywhere in the country for about $100 return.

2. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Medellin or Santa Marta
    Santa Marta constantly windy. Very humid. Always hot. Medellin and surrounding towns perfect weather. Never hot. Never cold.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mofongoloco View Post
    Santa Marta constantly windy. Very humid. Always hot. Medellin and surrounding towns perfect weather. Never hot. Never cold.
    I agree, but Santa Marta has beautiful beaches and the ocean is a must for many people.

Post Thanks / Like

Sosua has it's advantages but I would never live there. I visit from time to time. You don't have to leave the DR to leave Sosua. It is a huge diverse country that regretfully I have not explored enough.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veraugamike View Post
    Sosua has it's advantages but I would never live there. I visit from time to time. You don't have to leave the DR to leave Sosua. It is a huge diverse country that regretfully I have not explored enough.
    There's not really a corner I haven't explored.It can be pretty but not what I would call exciting or Diverse.The only wild life is under the water but even that is under attack now.
    Jarabacoa and Constanza are nice for a visit but pretty boring after a while.
    Where I first came to in the DR ,Cabarete, is just a rip-off gringo haven for sporty types.Not my cup of cuba libra at all.

The reasons I moved to Sosua was because I enjoyed the easy-going and fun way of life, street life,open air clubs open air music and dancing plus I found it more of a caribbean feel than the other places in the DR.

Now that has been destroyed,more or less.

Santo Domingo and Santiago are just tangled over populated concrete jungles as far as I'm concerned.I enjoy Boca Chica for a visit but don't think I would live there.

Let's not even mention Punta Cana....

7. Likes slowmo, beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There's not really a corner I haven't explored.It can be pretty but not what I would call exciting or Diverse.The only wild life is under the water but even that is under attack now.
    Where I first came to in the DR ,Cabarete, is just a rip-off gringo haven for sporty types.Not my cup of cuba libra at all.

The reasons I moved to Sosua was because I enjoyed the easy-going and fun way of life, street life,open air clubs open air music and dancing plus I found it more of a caribbean feel than the other places in the DR.

Santo Domingo and Santiago are just tangled over populated concrete jungles as far as I'm concerned.I enjoy Boca Chica for a visit but don't think I would live there.

Having lived in Sosua and (currently) in
    Santiago, better quality folks here in Santiago
    which is a big deal to me. Makes better
    quality of life.

9. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Boredom is a state of mind, not being. That said, it is true that unless you like countryside, rivers instead of ocean...etc places like Jarabacoa are not for you. At my stage in life I am content with going to the bank where all the tellers know my name, where I am greeted on the streets, and the kids yell my name as the pass on motos. My wife is not a restaurant person, or actually very social unless obligated to be. We do most of our shopping in Santiago ( cheaper and more variety) and I could live in that city but Santo Domingo, no thank you, not with that traffic nightmare.

11. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Some years ago i took a quick flight from nyc to santo domingo just out of winter boredom. I immediately noticed the weather and the women. Plus the cost of living for a small business owner at that time was light years cheaper if i moved here yet i still got the big city feel i need. I was hooked and decided to relocate sort of(im a platinum member on delta because i fly back so much).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Having lived in Sosua and (currently) in
    Santiago, better quality folks here in Santiago
    which is a big deal to me. Makes better
    quality of life.
    I've been living in Santiago for 14 years, it has most everything you need for a good life......

14. Likes cobraboy, CristoRey liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    I've been living in Santiago for 14 years, it has most everything you need for a good life......
    True, but the traffic explosion is getting like Santo Domingo.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast