Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Initial Permanent Residency Backlog?

A friend of mine is applying for his initial permanent residency. He already has his residency visa and took the required medical exam in July. He is still waiting for an appointment to go the DGM in SD and complete the process.

His lawyer is telling him that there is a huge initial residency backlog and that is why it is taking so long. Anyone here having the same problem or know of anyone who is?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    A friend of mine is applying for his initial permanent residency. He already has his residency visa and took the required medical exam in July. He is still waiting for an appointment to go the DGM in SD and complete the process.

His lawyer is telling him that there is a huge initial residency backlog and that is why it is taking so long. Anyone here having the same problem or know of anyone who is?
    Not to sure what " initial permanent residency " is........
    I have just done the internet thingy for permanent residency yesterday, after a bunch of temporal residencies......
    Will let you know what happens.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect "initial" in this case means the very first application for residency, not a renewal or change of status. That has always taken a long time.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post

Has he look at his mail on the website migracion?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I suspect "initial" in this case means the very first application for residency, not a renewal or change of status. That has always taken a long time.
    That's correct. It's his first time applying for residency here.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Has he look at his mail on the website migracion?
    His lawyer is handling everything and has told him that she has still not received an appointment to go to DGM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL (RT-9) is what it is called. That translates to TEMPORARY RESIDENCE (RT-9). Yes, it always takes a while to get this first form of Dominican Residency. Took almost a year for me back in 2002.

Migracion gets a 2.5 star rating. That is 2 stars higher than I would give them.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/25

8. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the reference to initial permanent residency is because Dominican Immigration does not know what the word "permanent" means. When you finally after 5 years of temp residency, get permanent (but here's the kicker) its only valid for one year as well, hence the "initial perm res" lol. I suspect eventually permanent will only be valid for one year so the can continue to cash grab the gringo yearly!.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    I think the reference to initial permanent residency is because Dominican Immigration does not know what the word "permanent" means. When you finally after 5 years of temp residency, get permanent (but here's the kicker) its only valid for one year as well, hence the "initial perm res" lol. I suspect eventually permanent will only be valid for one year so the can continue to cash grab the gringo yearly!.
    Their idea of permanent residency is a joke, but my friend qualified to apply for "permanent residency" right from the get go - not "temporary residency". He does not have to renew every year for 4 years like a "temporary resident" before applying to be a "permanent resident".

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL (RT-9) is what it is called. That translates to TEMPORARY RESIDENCE (RT-9). Yes, it always takes a while to get this first form of Dominican Residency. Took almost a year for me back in 2002.

Migracion gets a 2.5 star rating. That is 2 stars higher than I would give them.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/25
    No, he qualified to apply for permanent residency.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast