Time for a local to report

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have taken three trips in the time this section of the Travel BB has been open.
1) A "quickie" to Santo Domingo to dine in splendor and wonderful conversation. Intelligent men and women having a meal. Like the olden times...
Saw the Acropolis, not at all impressed, but it certainly gets a lot of attention...While there we met some people I / we hadn't seen in 30 years, with grown up daughters.....

The Highway to Santo Domingo is fine, except that it does not drain properly...You might be going 100 kph and hit a sheet of water. It does facilitate visits, however, since a 90 minute haul is easy...

2) The trip to Sosua to hook up with Jane J, a.k.a Ditz. The Luperon Highway is asking to be fixed up. There are some awesome holes there. Still, an hour and 10 minutes to Eddy's place is pretty cool...And no roadkill to speak of...

They are repaving the stretch from La Gran Parada eastwards to "Who KNows??" , so there are some Detours thru the cane fields...piece of cake, cough, cough!

3) Yesterday, to Playa Grande. Up at 5:30, packed golf stuff and outta there by 6:30. Actually at Coconut Palms at 7:58-talk about Gringo Time!

The haul to Playa Grande was a piece of cake, but, again, the road is asking for some attention. And right before the bridge over the R?o Monte Llano, there was a horrendous crash the day before yesterday, where a diesel oil tanker burst into flames after crashing...NO fatalities according to locals. Messed the crap outta the road, however. On the way back some fool wanted to see what a precipicio was like in his car!! Do not know the results.

Playa Grande, itself, is a breathtakingly beautiful spot. No ifs, ands or buts. I was going to play the round with a PGA pro from California, who had visited Pebble a zillion times. He said it was easily prettier and more grandiose. Some kids from Michigan concurred that it was the most majestic place they had ever played.

Today is recovery day, and I hurt in every joint, the product of not doing anything for too damn long!!

0ne nice thing was to see the people's faces as every turn presented another incredible vista. And for the players, there are some real pucker teeoffs... The water was blue in just about every shade you can imagine. The beach -now I know- is a light tan color, and there were no big waves yesterday...Say the colour of a Manila Folder? Anyway, awesome.

Please respect the wishes of the damned and don't ask about scores. I did par a couple, and my playing partner shot 37 on the back side....He got game....And the Presidente and food at the Clubhouse was good to perfect.
beerchug.gif

Achingly,
crying.gif

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Nice Post, but..

HB,

Dag nab it. You know it's bad enough that one has to divide everything by 17 to calulate cost in U.S. dollars, but here you go talking about driving 100 kph. Now, let's see..is that about 60 mph?

Ok, what does it cost to play a round at Playa Grande? Sounds like a golf course made in heaven. Since you made par (liar), how many times did you hit your Titlelist in the ocean? C'mon tell the truth.

Hey, how can you be playing golf on a work day anyhow? How many factories do you have going?

Curious Clem

gbelcher

Mar 29, 2002
Your trip to Playa Grande

Glad to hear you got to play Playa Grande. I can hardly wait til October. I will be contacting you before I get there to arrange a game of golf and some fine cigars.

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
Get in Shape, HB

HB, the clock is ticking away. Better get in shape for July 12th. Will fly in July 3 from jfk to sti. see ya !!