Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    I would bet that the indisciplined motoconchos are involved,directly or indirectly in 90% of accidents or incidents in the towns.
    Cure that before anything else or it's a lost cause.

I hate them with a vengeance...
    That would be a lost bet. Read more into RD national news.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NanSanPedro View Post
    Hard to agree with you on that, given the level of corruption we have here. I just don't see it happening in the future for those with high rank for lots of money. I would like to be wrong, but don't believe I am.
    The grand majority of the accidents are alcohol/intoxicated involved. Logic states you must start with a comprehensive plan at targeting that issue. The rest is fluff.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The normals will not allow it .

The most common form of transportation in towns has to be carro publicos, and lets face it, the majority of them are unfit to be driven, and that's not even factoring in that they pack 6 passengers in them.

In the campos a personal motorbike has to be the preferred form of transportation.
    No authority is going to alienate 50%+ of the population by stopping a husband from taking his wife and 2 kids on his bike to visit grand-mother, or prohibit people from transporting a pig/ ora de cin/ milk jugs, etc....... even though the bikes are not adapted to it.

The only positive ( depending on how you see it ) can come from drinking-and-driving. Once the politicos realise what a cash-cow that could be, we might see a crack down on that......... in a decade or more.

On a more personal note, the dr would lose some of its appeal if it had strict transportation laws like back home. I can do without government telling me what gear i need to ride a bike, or what i can or cannot do inside my own car ( like drink a beer ).
    But i get it, some men make better serfs than free men ( or something like that )

4. Likes monfongo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    INTRANTpublished a comprehensive plan for improving road safety in the DR based on an enormous body of stats. This document is a worthwhile read.

A great component is motorcycle safety, a subject near and dear to my heart.

You can find the downloadable .PDF document here: https://intrant.gob.do/transparencia...02017-2020.pdf

I may put this in Dropbox. If you have a problem downloading from the INTRANT website, PM me your email address and I'll send the Dropbox link.

I had some input into this document on the motorcycle side, and hope the government stays focused on the task.

I'm asking for a word document that can be translated. If I get one I will let you know.
    This site claims to be able to convert pdf's to word and other formats. I have a busy day so I don't have the time to do this right now.

PDF Made Simple
    Convert and edit any type of document easily! No downloads.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    INTRANTpublished a comprehensive plan for improving road safety in the DR based on an enormous body of stats. This document is a worthwhile read.

A great component is motorcycle safety, a subject near and dear to my heart.

I had some input into this document on the motorcycle side, and hope the government stays focused on the task.

I'm asking for a word document that can be translated. If I get one I will let you know.
    This is wonderful, and a step in the right direction. I know this will take a while to get moving with any momentum but it is a huge step for them to get a well researched plan and put it to paper.

I can remember the "old" days when you could lay down in the potholes (literally) on the highway between Santiago and La Capital. Or before MOPC when you were taking your life into your own hands if you traveled between towns after dark. Slow progress is still progress.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    The most common form of transportation in towns has to be carro publicos, and lets face it, the majority of them are unfit to be driven, and that's not even factoring in that they pack 6 passengers in them.
    Yes. I recall there was like an attempt of starting yearly vehicle inspections (like in Europe, not sure if US has that) and if I understood correctly, this nice plan was abandoned as this would have thrown half of carros publicos out of business and of course the unions would have not allowed that. The unions are of course above the law, and the government, other street users and authorities have to obey them. If not, they will block every intersection in the capital and start a riot...

As it was pointed out earlier in this thread, the drivers of these carritos are one of the worst... Streets are their work place, and instead of being organized and trying to do their job properly, the just cause a mess everywhere...

So, it is a very nice PDF file, but I personally doubt that nothing much more comes out...

8. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

So, it is a very nice PDF file, but I personally doubt that nothing much more comes out...
    josh2203, I could not agree more.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

if they were just forced to put mufflers on those motos I would be happy. Some of them you can hear 1/2 mile away. Its extremely inconsiderate to operate one of those things w/o a muffler. I dont really care if they run off the road drunk and hit a sign post or tree. Chalk that up to the culture . I am still trying to figure out why they insist on taking the lights, muffler and mirrors off of those things

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If they could solve the guy in the truck, parked on the wrong side of the road, facing traffic with his high beams on, I'd be happy.

12. Likes drstock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    if they were just forced to put mufflers on those motos I would be happy. Some of them you can hear 1/2 mile away. Its extremely inconsiderate to operate one of those things w/o a muffler. I dont really care if they run off the road drunk and hit a sign post or tree. Chalk that up to the culture . I am still trying to figure out why they insist on taking the lights, muffler and mirrors off of those things
    The lack of muffler, lights and mirrors, etc are based upon a property called Entropy.

14. Likes nekokatt liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast