Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I suspect the best coffee is just as subjective as the best pizza.

As for discussions, I am far more into the best pizza than I am regarding the best coffee.
    When it comes to coffee, I am obviously not as particular since Santo Domingo coffee is OK for me.
    But then, I am more inclined to drink tea and the best tea is from Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka.

The best pizza is from my home town.

The best coffee? I have no idea. For sure some of the worst ever is from Starbucks.
    Same for tea. I am a big drinker of green tea, and used to drink lots of black tea as well. The tea from Sri Lanka is very good but I am a fan of Japanese green tea, in fact I just had a cup of Buddha Leaf MATCHA.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Santo Domingo is always imported. One of the worst I have tasted. We always bring three or four packages from the Netherlands. Organic Colombian.
    I have stayed away from passing judgement (negativity), but this is something I am adamant about (agreeing with Fulano2). It's sad that the coffee brand that bears the country's national capital name is the worst coffee ever (lower East Side 3am diner coffee is better). I remember growing up on Maxwell House, Folger's and CFoN and thinking "wow I am too young to know about coffee but this stuff is horrible". Santo Domingo is worse, actually. It leaves the worst aftertaste and no matter how you brew it, french press, greca, percolator, mr. coffee, etc, it doesn't help. After 15 years of trying all the "supermarket" Dominican varieties, I have formed my own conclusion that's it's all the same. They claim there are no fillers, but no roasting process could ever make coffee taste that bad.

If you can't get something grown and roasted specially (I think a member of ours does this I hear quite well) then buy Bustelo. A classic roast in the traditional cuban variety, not overly expensive and even served in Michelin-starred establishments.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    .. Havent seen Blue mountain coffee outside of Jamaican in years and then it was very expensive, and only a mix of 50%...My other. favorite is Kona from Hawaii.. but has the same supply problem, in the D.R. I would look for a good Columbian..Great coffee is like Unobtainium. in the movie Avatar..its always on a planet far, far away with 9 foot tall blue people guarding it...…...Doc....
    I bought some in south Florida years ago but just wasn't the same as drinking it in Jamaica. That was the BEST. I do like Colombian over Dominican coffee.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Since Cafe Santo Domingo started substituting their coffee with robusta coffee beans from Vietnam, I stopped buying it. Ines is good but my favorite is Serano. Bravo National And Jumbo sell. Mark my word you will not be disappointed.

5. Likes etolw liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Since Cafe Santo Domingo started substituting their coffee with robusta coffee beans from Vietnam, I stopped buying it. Ines is good but my favorite is Serano. Bravo National And Jumbo sell. Mark my word you will not be disappointed.
    Cafe Serrano! That’s the one we found at the Agro Fair and took 40 pounds of beans home. I agree, excellent

Admin
    DR1.com

7. Likes jeb321, NanSanPedro, etolw liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Voorpret coffee (for sale in supermercados Nacional) is one of my favorites. It’s a specialty coffee (meaning a high cupping grade), beans from DR but also other countries (although each coffee is single origin). When I lived in DR I would always drink Monte Alto or Serrano but since I found Voorpret I always bring enough back home when I’m in DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Cafe Serrano! That’s the one we found at the Agro Fair and took 40 pounds of beans home. I agree, excellent
    Thanks for the recommendation, AE. Will get some next time in Jumbo

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Voorpret coffee (for sale in supermercados Nacional) is one of my favorites. It’s a specialty coffee (meaning a high cupping grade), beans from DR but also other countries (although each coffee is single origin). When I lived in DR I would always drink Monte Alto or Serrano but since I found Voorpret I always bring enough back home when I’m in DR.
    You did a heck of a lot better than I did spelling it in post #16. Good stuff!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

For the true gourmet there's Kopi luwak.

I doubt it's available in the DR, though.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard that coffee was ****ty.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast