Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Residency Renewal while abroad

My husband and I now spend most of our time in the U.S. but plan on returning to the DR eventually. Since we had already gone through the ridiculous nonsense of renewing our temporary residency 4 times we figure we might as well keep going with it. Last February we finally got our "permanent" residency which we all know is not really permanent and was only good for one year and needs to be renewed yet again.

I've been reading about the online renewal process but it I'm concerned we won't have much control over when we need to get back down to the DR to go to Santo Domingo to get pictures taken and get the new residency cards and cedula. I'm also unsure if we will have to yet again get a medical.

I've read a bunch of the threads but I'm still a little confused as to the exact process. Maybe I should just use a lawyer again to keep it simple?

Thoughts? / Suggestions?

Thanks!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

No lawyer needed for a renewal. It's very simple.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the question as not one of 'simplicity'...
    but the logistics....
    These applicants can only come for a limited time it appears
    They want to reduce the 'facetime' involved

I hope I read it right.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    My husband and I now spend most of our time in the U.S. but plan on returning to the DR eventually. Since we had already gone through the ridiculous nonsense of renewing our temporary residency 4 times we figure we might as well keep going with it. Last February we finally got our "permanent" residency which we all know is not really permanent and was only good for one year and needs to be renewed yet again.

I've been reading about the online renewal process but it I'm concerned we won't have much control over when we need to get back down to the DR to go to Santo Domingo to get pictures taken and get the new residency cards and cedula. I'm also unsure if we will have to yet again get a medical.

I've read a bunch of the threads but I'm still a little confused as to the exact process. Maybe I should just use a lawyer again to keep it simple?

Thoughts? / Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Calculate that your picture taking appointment will be about 3 weeks after you have done your medical. You can decline the appointment and reschedule (you can provide date you will be in the country e.g. after such and such date) and they will give you new date and you can fly in. But it will cost you additional 1000 pesos to decline the appointment.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I was out of the country and had to reschedule my pic, never paid the 2000 (for my wife and I). For my next appointment I had 3 days notice. My friend had 1 day notice for her medical lol.

You defiantly have to do the medical for perm renewal. You do not have to do it for temp residency renewal.
    So you will have to be here for the medical and then your pic another day. How long can you come for?
    To be honest if you want simple and can afford it get the lawyer. I did and was glad I didn’t have to deal with anything. If money is tight maybe try on your own first? People say it’s easy but I found that website annoying and it was worth the $500 to never look at it again. My friend paid $800 for her perm expired residency renewal and I paid $500 for my temp expired residency.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A temporary residency renewal is going to cost you $300 w/o a lawyer, so $200 in lawyer fees isn't too bad.

Not sure what's involved involved in an expired permanent residency renewal, but I think the fees w/o a lawyer for a regular permanent residency renewal are about $400 and that doesn't include the medical.

Post Thanks / Like

My last permanent residency renewal cost me just over RD$20,000 without a lawyer, not including the cost of travelling and staying in the capital.

Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I read the question as not one of 'simplicity'...
    but the logistics....
    These applicants can only come for a limited time it appears
    They want to reduce the 'facetime' involved

I hope I read it right.
    You are correct! It's the logistics I'm most concerned about. In the past, we were always able to do everything in a single trip. From what I'm reading, we will have to do a medical first and then several weeks later go into SD for the picture taking, etc. That's going to be difficult.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The residency renewal process is obviously geared towards those who live in the DR. You need someone on the ground here with a contact or two at DGM that can work to get your renewal appointment scheduled shortly after your medical appointment. You won't be able to do this yourself especially if you explain that you need a variance in procedure because you aren't actually living in the DR at present.

If you can't find a lawyer to help in this regard, then it looks like you will either be staying in country after your medical tests waiting for your next appointment or you will be leaving only to return at a later date.

Maybe renewing online is not the best option for you this time around. I think your best bet, to hopefully achieve the end result with the least amount of personal inconvenience, would be if the whole renewal was handled by a competent lawyer. It will be more expensive yes, but not as much as airline tickets for two separate return trips for two people.

I have no experience in judging how accommodating DGM is prepared to be these days when it comes to schedule issues.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Jorge at his dads firm J. Lora Castillo & Asociados. [email protected]
    I contacted him through WhatsApp messages the whole time and he is in SD.
    Really nice young guy and speaks great English. +1 (829) 707-7773

I wanted to use someone else other than the NC lawyers...and my friend was using him for other things.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    You could always just let it expire as well until you are here for longer???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast