major vaccination effort

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
dr1 news reports(fri. may 31/02) the start of another vaccination program for polio and measles in both RD and Haiti. the program is said to be available through home visits or through health centres.

vaccination program

several months ago there was a short-lived discussion on the dr1 message board about polio vaccines. the following is a copy of a question i posted on another board regarding the discussion:

---recently i responded to a thread on DR1 regarding a polio "outbreak" early last year. since then i have exchanged several emails with someone who was uncomfortable posting on the board(that's another story). some interesting questions were raised which we did not have answers to, perhaps i might find them here?

i would be curious to know if the immunization programs in DR are funded through the government or if the vaccines are "donated" by drug manufacturers. who actually administers the program and how is it run? how much effort is made to seek out people requiring immunization, or are people immunized only if they show up at the clinics?

thanks,
mob---

no-one on that board was able to answer, does anyone here have answers, or a source where i might research for myself?

thanks again,
mob

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
2 Public Health nurses came to our door and knocked, and vaccinated our baby today. In Santo Domingo, they are going door to door for this vaccination program. No clue as to the sponsors.

The shots were free.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sorry to make 2 messages, but> These vaccinations are also available at any of the government's public health clinics. All childhood vaccinations in the DR are free, *you CAN pay and get them at your private doctor also * and I think the problems with children catching diseases here are either from 1= the local clinic not having the vaccination on hand, or 2=the clinic is too far from where the child lives, but much more likely is 3=the lack of education of the mother on the importance of getting all of the shots, in a timely manner, into the kid.