Page 13 of 208 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 2077
  1. #121
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Coronavirus is everywhere already, just imagine the number of Chinese from Wuhan traveled to so many countries since end of December before restrictions. Nobody really testing for this properly otherwise we would see more and more infections all over the world.

    The good news is that most people recover quickly with fairly mild symptoms. I saw a BBC report that said 80% of the dead were over 60+ years and 75% had prior health condition/issues. Not saying others can't die of it (many have) but it is not as deadly of some other viruses flu viruses...
    Smokers (think all of Asia) are already susceptible because they smoke poor quality tobacco and many chain smoke

  2. #122
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Coronavirus is everywhere already, just imagine the number of Chinese from Wuhan traveled to so many countries since end of December before restrictions. Nobody really testing for this properly otherwise we would see more and more infections all over the world.

    The good news is that most people recover quickly with fairly mild symptoms. I saw a BBC report that said 80% of the dead were over 60+ years and 75% had prior health condition/issues. Not saying others can't die of it (many have) but it is not as deadly of some other viruses flu viruses...
    What is the BBC's source? I question any and all stats because I don't trust the Chinese govt to tell anything remotely resembling the truth.

  3. Likes jeb321 liked this post
  4. #123
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,254
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chinese stats were only of value to us in the days/weeks following the outbreak.
    In my opinion we are passed that now. I would have worried if we had a crazy amount of cases ( say in the hundreds ) in europe/NA.......but it is not the case.
    Mild symptoms, not really contaminating people outside of china......a lot of fuss over nothing ( well unless you are chinese, that is ).
    We will move along once the next big news headline hits.

    The only point of interest now is if the hiccup in the stock market 2 weeks ago was the culminating point of the virus, or if longer term effects will be felt in a month or 2 ( supply chain, etc...).

  5. Likes Juan Bosch liked this post
    Dislikes jeb321 disliked this post
  6. #124
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

  7. Dislikes jeb321 disliked this post
  8. #125
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Coronavirus is everywhere already, just imagine the number of Chinese from Wuhan traveled to so many countries since end of December before restrictions. Nobody really testing for this properly otherwise we would see more and more infections all over the world.

    The good news is that most people recover quickly with fairly mild symptoms. I saw a BBC report that said 80% of the dead were over 60+ years and 75% had prior health condition/issues. Not saying others can't die of it (many have) but it is not as deadly of some other viruses flu viruses...
    Not sure who I trust more, the Chinese or the BBC, either way when it hits here,
    and it will as we know, the Dominicans are not well-prepared and therefor I predict
    that sadly we will have see many casualties as a result.

    If 80% of the dead were over 60+ years and 75% had prior health condition/ issues,
    I'd have to say several of you DR1'ers who post regularly on this forum are RIPE FOR THE PICKEN

  9. Likes jeb321 liked this post
  10. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Not sure who I trust more, the Chinese or the BBC, either way when it hits here,
    and it will as we know, the Dominicans are not well-prepared and therefor I predict
    that sadly we will have see many casualties as a result.

    If 80% of the dead were over 60+ years and 75% had prior health condition/ issues,
    I'd have to say several of you DR1'ers who post regularly on this forum are RIPE FOR THE PICKEN
    Good one
    Meanwhile the seasonal flu seems to be less deadly this year, DR predicts only 6000 casualities


    It is still too early to know the lethality of this year. Sanz it not expected to be very high at the end of the season (usually somewhat above 0.1%, about 6,000 deaths, mostly in people over 60 years) precisely because the viruses circulating are known . In addition, they coincide with the strains with which the vaccines have been made, something that does not always occur, since they are manufactured around predictions that sometimes fail, as happened two years ago.

  11. Likes Juan Bosch liked this post
  12. #127
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etolw View Post
    Good one
    Meanwhile the seasonal flu seems to be less deadly this year, DR predicts only 6000 casualities


    It is still too early to know the lethality of this year. Sanz it not expected to be very high at the end of the season (usually somewhat above 0.1%, about 6,000 deaths, mostly in people over 60 years) precisely because the viruses circulating are known . In addition, they coincide with the strains with which the vaccines have been made, something that does not always occur, since they are manufactured around predictions that sometimes fail, as happened two years ago.
    Seasonal flu, cold or just my luck (lack thereof)
    Everyone in my building is currently very sick
    with Influenza. I came down with it Tuesday night.
    High fever and bad cough while bed ridden until
    yesterday morning. Nothing but fruit, jugo and
    vitamins for roughly 5 days. I am 45 yrs old and
    in good health, I can not imagine having pre existing
    health conditions and contracting something as
    dangerous as the (shout out to the Taiwainese
    Media) Wuhan Virus, could be a real problem for
    some. Take care folks. Flu season is upon us.
    - sent this from my phone while sitting in bed, no idea
    why its formatted like this?

  13. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It has now spread to 30 countries, affecting economy on a global scale.
    https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=c9585c8f_2

    And most of those countries were prepared. But will that be enough? Seems not to me.
    Last edited by etolw; 02-24-2020 at 06:21 AM.

  14. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DR now have the capacity to diagnose the virus. More cases continue to spread outside China.

    The country can diagnose coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), using molecular technology, using the Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR-rT) technique existing for influenza and other respiratory viruses, according to the Pan American Organization de la Salud (PAHO), which trained professionals in the region, including the Dominican Republic, in the detection and timely diagnosis of the disease.

    For these purposes, a specialist from the National Public Health Laboratory “Dr. Defilló (LNSPDD), is Nurys De Castro, bioanalyst and in charge of detection and diagnosis of influenza and other respiratory viruses, participated in the workshop, "Diagnosis and laboratory detection of the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2" that was developed accordingly to the recommendations of PAHO / WHO to guarantee the identification and timely response to the disease before a suspected case in the Region.

    Ms. De Castro acquired knowledge that will allow her to train her colleagues so that they are prepared to carry out the diagnostic tests if there are any suspected cases of COVID -19 and thus have results as soon as possible.

    The workshop was held from February 12 to 13, 2020, in Mexico, which was attended by virologists from Central American countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua, as well as Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

    Participants received training in the main tests and protocols to detect and diagnose COVID-19 disease using molecular technology, which was directed by PAHO experts.

    The laboratories selected for training were those that have already established virological surveillance of influenza and other respiratory viruses; where detection tests for this new coronavirus can be quickly implemented using existing molecular detection platforms.
    Last edited by etolw; 02-25-2020 at 03:47 AM.

  15. #130
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    World wide hysteria. I thought we have malaria, dengue,...
    The mortality under infected is 2 to 3 percent, of them majority are old people with severe preprolems.
    Every year much more people die on normal flu. Ok, till now we don't know this bitch exactly.

  16. Likes etolw, NanSanPedro, Africaida, cobraboy liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •