Page 12 of 241 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I was asked twice yesterday if I had been to China in the last 14 days.

Checking in for my AA flight SDQ-PHL.... online checkin asked
    and again at boarding, the girl asked me

Coincidentally, I had an Asian male in front of me coughing up a storm
    very uncomfortable with that

My friend flew BOS-POP y'day and an Asian female with a mask was coughing all the way
    Spooked him
    I'm not sitting on an Airplane with a coughing Chinese person, nor one with a mask - why tempt fate.
    Perhaps ban all travel with a Chinese passport, no matter where they have been.
    This virus seems to only be out of control in Asia but someday a virus will kill millions and most likely it will originate in China

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same feeling..... but it was too late----
    airborne before the coughing spasms started

I admit to the Asian prejudice given the current situation

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of chronic conditions produce coughing: COPD, bronchitis, emphysema etc, all of which are not contagious.

I believe the use of a mask by a chronic cougher is a courtesy for everyone else and demonstrates a real desire to be considerate of others. This behavior should be encouraged and not arbitrarily shunned. Usually a politely worded question about their condition will be sufficient to placate any concerns. Using basic observation, you can easily tell the difference between someone who has the Flu and a longtime smoker. There is no reason at this time to get all paranoid about every cough and sneeze - if that's your current thinking, you're being silly and maybe you should focus on that and not get on a flying petri dish

4. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They can only produce so many test kits a day. New *official* infections have started to stabilize, but I suspect this is only bc of rationing testing. Their health system is saturated and the crematorias are going 24/7.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced that the reported numbers are an accurate reflection of the current state of affairs both in Asia and elsewhere. It is difficult for external agencies to monitor and verify the situation in China and that Govt doesn't have a very good record when it comes to being honest and upfront. Many countries are still not able or willing to test their sick people, so who knows what Coronavirus disease they actually have.

My skepticism with official announcements from the DR Govt is second only to those coming out of China. In these two countries for sure and elsewhere I do think that there are non-health related considerations at play that taint these pronouncements.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I had the same feeling..... but it was too late----
    airborne before the coughing spasms started

I admit to the Asian prejudice given the current situation
    What they didn't have parachutes ?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I'm not convinced that the reported numbers are an accurate reflection of the current state of affairs both in Asia and elsewhere. It is difficult for external agencies to monitor and verify the situation in China and that Govt doesn't have a very good record when it comes to being honest and upfront. Many countries are still not able or willing to test their sick people, so who knows what Coronavirus disease they actually have.

My skepticism with official announcements from the DR Govt is second only to those coming out of China. In these two countries for sure and elsewhere I do think that there are non-health related considerations at play that taint these pronouncements.
    everyone should watch this ... it's 16 minutes, but watch through it, it's eye opening.

9. Likes NanSanPedro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not saying that the authorities aren't downplaying the scale of the problem, but you have to consider the source and its agenda.
    New Tang Dynasty Television is a television broadcaster, founded by Falun Gong practitioners
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ta...sty_Television

Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

11. Likes Juan Bosch liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Coronavirus is everywhere already, just imagine the number of Chinese from Wuhan traveled to so many countries since end of December before restrictions. Nobody really testing for this properly otherwise we would see more and more infections all over the world.

The good news is that most people recover quickly with fairly mild symptoms. I saw a BBC report that said 80% of the dead were over 60+ years and 75% had prior health condition/issues. Not saying others can't die of it (many have) but it is not as deadly of some other viruses flu viruses...

Post Thanks / Like

It is more infectious than SARS but not as deadly.

Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

14. Likes Juan Bosch liked this post