Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Moderator 📚 Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Which Spanish accent is the hardest to understand?

    Some people using the Duolingo App had a discussion about Spanish accents. The question asked was which accent is the hardest to understand (for some people it’s more than one accent)?

    BTW- I finally know someone who is using Duolingo to learn Spanish. This app has good reviews in general from people who have used it. I gave the person I know using the app the option to ask me any question he has after his lesson on the app. He has a grammar question everyday and I noticed some of the wording of the equivalent Spanish phrase in the application is backwards when translating from English to Spanish.

    Here is the discussion:


    https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2...nish-of-course


    -MP.
    DC1-C0838-2345-48-C3-B2-BB-1-DE2-F88-DF368
    Moderator-Spanish Forum
    🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇦🇨🇴
    www.DR1.com

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marianopolita View Post
    Some people using the Duolingo App had a discussion about Spanish accents. The question asked was which accent is the hardest to understand (for some people it’s more than one accent)?

    BTW- I finally know someone who is using Duolingo to learn Spanish. This app has good reviews in general from people who have used it. I gave the person I know using the app the option to ask me any question he has after his lesson on the app. He has a grammar question everyday and I noticed some of the wording of the equivalent Spanish phrase in the application is backwards when translating from English to Spanish.

    Here is the discussion:


    https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2...nish-of-course


    -MP.
    For me the Basque accent in Spain, it is the worst.

  3. #3
    Moderator 📚 Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting. I have virtually no interaction with Spaniards being on the other side of the pond so to speak. However, the interaction I have had has been okay except for one encounter and it was expected. Spain has a lot of languages historically so that is a factor too.

    I do know someone from Bilbao and I have never had an issue communicating with her. Actually, her Spanish is wonderful but that is just one example.





    A snapshot just to get an understanding of the region.


    -MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 01-23-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    DC1-C0838-2345-48-C3-B2-BB-1-DE2-F88-DF368
    Moderator-Spanish Forum
    🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇦🇨🇴
    www.DR1.com

  4. #4
    Moderator 📚 Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is a thread in another forum about the same topic. Here is the question that was asked:


    Spanish learners which Spanish accents are the hardest to understand?

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Spanish/com...cents_are_the/


    I read through the answers. They are all interesting and a lot of common responses meaning the countries that people find Spanish easy to understand vs. the ones they find difficult.


    -MP.
    DC1-C0838-2345-48-C3-B2-BB-1-DE2-F88-DF368
    Moderator-Spanish Forum
    🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇦🇨🇴
    www.DR1.com

  5. #5
    Moderator 📚 Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    This a good video that gives examples of Spanish accents from different countries. They are all Spanish teachers. Each gives a description of their country of origin, some cultural facts and typical expressions. Then they ask you to guess where they are from.

    This is the second time I have stumbled across this video. I was able to identify each speaker. However, even in their respective countries the accent will vary.


    -MP.
    DC1-C0838-2345-48-C3-B2-BB-1-DE2-F88-DF368
    Moderator-Spanish Forum
    🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇦🇨🇴
    www.DR1.com

  6. Likes bob saunders liked this post
  7. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Personally i enjoy the colombian accent(s) and on the other hand i don't enjoy mexicain accent(s) very much.

  8. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As Dominican i can tell the hardest one for me are tow, Paraguay was hard to understand some people there, noticed they had the accent of native language Guaraní so they speak with that accent, and speaking with Chilean people also some sentences while they are speaking hard to understand that i had to ask what did you say?

  9. #8
    Moderator 📚 Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Personally i enjoy the colombian accent(s) and on the other hand i don't enjoy mexicain accent(s) very much.

    A mí también me gusta el acento colombiano.

    I like the Colombian accent in general. However, there are so many and a few are quite distinct. I never miss it whether I hear it on TV, when speaking to someone on the phone or just on the street. What I like to do is try to guess which part of Colombia the person is from based on their accent. For example, in the video I posted above I knew right away where the Colombian speaker was from just from the brief intro. I knew the accent was North Colombia and the speaker clarified where exactly.

    The Colombian accents that I have a lot of exposure to are:


    1) Rolo - the accent from the capital Bogotá
    2) Paisa- Antioquia which includes Medellín and surrounding area. This accent is very distinct and strong. When you hear it you recognize it right away
    3) Costeño- Cartagena, Barranquilla- Colombian Caribbean accent
    4) Caleño- Cali - Sur, Valle del Cauca accent


    In general, Spanish from Colombia offers a lot of variety. Outside of Colombia one can get good exposure to the Colombian accent(s) in various North American cities such Miami, New York and Toronto.



    -MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 01-29-2020 at 01:28 AM.
    DC1-C0838-2345-48-C3-B2-BB-1-DE2-F88-DF368
    Moderator-Spanish Forum
    🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇦🇨🇴
    www.DR1.com

  10. #9
    Moderator 📚 Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    As Dominican i can tell the hardest one for me are tow, Paraguay was hard to understand some people there, noticed they had the accent of native language Guaraní so they speak with that accent, and speaking with Chilean people also some sentences while they are speaking hard to understand that i had to ask what did you say?

    Were you in Paraguay?

    That is not an accent I am familiar with as there are no large communities of Paraguayans outside of Paraguay. What I have heard is on TV or speakers on You Tube.

    Guaraní, the native language is prominent then Spanish. As well, Paraguayan Spanish includes the linguistic influences from the surrounding geographic area so there is a mix for sure.

    Chile is okay for me so far. I have never had a problem understanding Chileans. I even worked with a few. All good.


    -MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 01-26-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    DC1-C0838-2345-48-C3-B2-BB-1-DE2-F88-DF368
    Moderator-Spanish Forum
    🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇦🇨🇴
    www.DR1.com

  11. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marianopolita View Post
    Were you in Paraguay?

    That is not an accent I am familiar with as there are no large communities of Paraguayans outside of Paraguay. What I have heard is on TV or speakers on You Tube.

    Guaraní, the native language is prominent then Spanish. As well, Paraguayan Spanish includes the linguistic influences from the surrounding geographic area so there is a mix for sure.

    Chile is okay for me so far. I have never had a problem understanding Chileans. I even worked with a few. All good.


    -MP.
    I was in Asuncion and Ciudad del Este, a taxi driver spoke to us in spanish and the speed of him speaking was similar as the Guarani, thats why I said sound like accent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •