US company hiring Dominican employee?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
What is involved in a US Company hiring a Dominican National that will be stationed in Santo Domingo? Payroll taxes? Withholding? Is it best to hire as consultant etc?

Also if travel to US and other Latin American companies becomes necessary, will it be hard to get visas for business travel? How long does it take? Will it just be a series of one entry visas?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and truly apreciate any info.

I also might be relocating to SD and am sure I'll have even more business related questions. This board is extremely informative. Thanks in advance.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
A U.S. company hiring a foreign national entails getting a special visa called an H-1B. In my opinion, it is probably easier to get an immigration attorney to handle the process because they know all of the INS regulations top to bottom, and also there is a better chance of the visa being granted when it is presented by an attorney.

As for travelling on business once the H-1B is granted, I am not sure. I would think they would not be able to, because they are not actual American citizens, obviously, but can begin the naturalization process after the H-1B if they want. Spouses and kids of the employee can also come on visas connected with the H-1B.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
rafael said:
What is involved in a US Company hiring a Dominican National that will be stationed in Santo Domingo? Payroll taxes? Withholding? Is it best to hire as consultant etc?

Also if travel to US and other Latin American companies becomes necessary, will it be hard to get visas for business travel? How long does it take? Will it just be a series of one entry visas?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and truly apreciate any info.

I also might be relocating to SD and am sure I'll have even more business related questions. This board is extremely informative. Thanks in advance.

US companies operating in Santo Domingo will abide by local rules. That means payroll taxes, social security (as of November) and other legal deductions will be made. It is better to be hired as an employee, in order to receive severance payment. On the other hand, if you have a contract as a consultant, if the company decides the terminate your contract prior to its expiration, you may receive the full amount, in which case this would be the more convenient option.

Dominican businessmen travel all over the world, and I have not heard visas being a problem if you qualify. Yes, it is probably you will be given single entry visas to the Latin American countries. How long it takes will depend on each individual consulate, but with rare exceptions not more than two weeks.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Many companies that hire people who will be required to travel to the US will make it a requisite that the potential employee already have a valid US visa. That way the problem is done with.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thank you very much for the replies. It looks like hiring as a consultant or contractor might make more sense.

What would the qualifications for single entry visas be?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Not necessarily. Please note that I mistakenly added a NOT to the sentence of that it is better to be hired as an employee to receive severance payments. You may want to post a simple question of when it is better to be hired as a consultant, and when as an employee in the legal section.

As for the qualifications for simple entry visas... you need to contact the respective consulate that issues the visa.

Cyber Park

Jan 2, 2002
mywebpage.netscape.com
outsourcing personnel services

you may also consider using the services of head hunters or HR outsourcing company.

We at the Cyber Park can offer you the service.
In theis case we aill hire for you only employees with visa to the US. the personnel will be under your or our payroll, keeping you without any liability to them. The outsourcing can take care of all other non productive issues like accounting, handling local vendors, legal, insurance, secreterial services, translation, transportation, over time food, custom brokerage for incoming / outgoing shipments and engineering.

Please give me some more information regarding your Business in order to custom you an offer.

Gabriel
hayon@pcsd.com.do
(809)7385000 or 4455566