Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Schooling ~ anyone have experience

Hello,

We have been considering home school options for our son. I am Canadian wife is Dominican we both agree the schools here private or not are up to par with the educational expectations and more or less act as a filter so your son/daughter is not with people of lower social class.

I'm curious what Dominican law says about this... Can our son be home-schooled and still receive the necessary papers upon course completion/ exams ? does anyone additionally know if Canada would recognize homeschooling in a different country with the respected province ( Ontario ) educational standards and course work?

Thanks

P.S not completely closed to the idea of attending a private school, but from what I observe they are indeed filters and doesn't necessarily mean they'll be getting better education per say.
    Last edited by arete92; 01-31-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You should ask in the Legal Forum for the "legal in Dom" question.

But if you want to comply with North American regulations, just buy that particular North American curriculum on line. I doubt they care what the physical location is, as long as you cover the required topics - but ask them if they'll issue the diplomas under your circumstances.

You can have it shipped to a dominican EPS or someplace similar. Teach the kid, comply with all the curriculum rules, and he'll get North American diplomas for each completed grade.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    You should ask in the Legal Forum for the "legal in Dom" question.

But if you want to comply with North American regulations, just buy that particular North American curriculum on line. I doubt they care what the physical location is, as long as you cover the required topics - but ask them if they'll issue the diplomas under your circumstances.

You can have it shipped to a dominican EPS or someplace similar. Teach the kid, comply with all the curriculum rules, and he'll get North American diplomas for each completed grade.
    ah nice didn't know you could just buy it online

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arete92 View Post
    Hello,

We have been considering home school options for our son. I am Canadian wife is Dominican we both agree the schools here private or not are up to par with the educational expectations and more or less act as a filter so your son/daughter is not with people of lower social class.

I'm curious what Dominican law says about this... Can our son be home-schooled and still receive the necessary papers upon course completion/ exams ? does anyone additionally know if Canada would recognize homeschooling in a different country with the respected province ( Ontario ) educational standards and course work?

Thanks

P.S not completely closed to the idea of attending a private school, but from what I observe they are indeed filters and doesn't necessarily mean they'll be getting better education per say.
    To live in this country with children of the school age - IS A VERY BAD LUCK. Highly irresponsible to your kids.
    Homeschooling won`t help. We were thinking about it a lot too. For this reason only we decided against living full time here. Although we have access to some diplomatic agencies schools in SD. This option was one of the reasons for our relocation from Sosua to SD area.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

ah nice didn't know you could just buy it online
    I did that with my son. No problems at all. And this was done in a libbie state too!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NanSanPedro View Post
    I did that with my son. No problems at all. And this was done in a libbie state too!
    If you don't mind me asking how was his development in a social context? that's the only worry I have

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind me asking how was his development in a social context? that's the only worry I have
    No problems then or now that I'm aware of. He's close to 30 and happily engaged with a good job. We were also very involved in our church so that helped too.

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    To live in this country with children of the school age - IS A VERY BAD LUCK. Highly irresponsible to your kids.
    Homeschooling won`t help. We were thinking about it a lot too. For this reason only we decided against living full time here. Although we have access to some diplomatic agencies schools in SD. This option was one of the reasons for our relocation from Sosua to SD area.
    Really not true at all. We have a number of former students that have complete their high school here in the DR, some at private schools and some even in the public schools that have successfully gone on to careers/university/college in Canada, USA, and Europe. One of our former students just started his internship and Kansas State University, Another is at University of Arkansas, another at Florida State, many that have degrees from Hofstra in NY.....etc. It depends on the individual. As for the OP perhaps you can find out your homeschooling information here https://www.time4learning.com/homesc...n_canada.shtml
    https://homeschoolcanada.ca/homeschooling-by-province/
    Homeschooling is accepted in every province but the rules are a little different in each province as well. Very popular in BC , even though BC has a very good public school system, as well as a well developed charter school system. My SIL teaches in a Christian Academy in Chilliwack, BC.
    My Dominican Stepson went from Grade five in our private school into Grade five Public School Courtenay British Columbia and had no issues other that an extra ESL course for three months. He now has a degree in Computer Science and is working towards a second degree, his Chartered Accounting degree in Calgary.
    Last edited by bob saunders; 01-31-2020 at 10:04 PM.

9. Likes Squat, beeza liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Really not true at all. We have a number of former students that have complete their high school here in the DR, some at private schools and some even in the public schools that have successfully gone on to careers/university/college in Canada, USA, and Europe. One of our former students just started his internship and Kansas State University, Another is at University of Arkansas, another at Florida State, many that have degrees from Hofstra in NY.....etc. It depends on the individual. As for the OP perhaps you can find out your homeschooling information here https://www.time4learning.com/homesc...n_canada.shtml
    https://homeschoolcanada.ca/homeschooling-by-province/
    Homeschooling is accepted in every province but the rules are a little different in each province as well. Very popular in BC , even though BC has a very good public school system, as well as a well developed charter school system. My SIL teaches in a Christian Academy in Chilliwack, BC.
    My Dominican Stepson went from Grade five in our private school into Grade five Public School Courtenay British Columbia and had no issues other that an extra ESL course for three months. He now has a degree in Computer Science and is working towards a second degree, his Chartered Accounting degree in Calgary.
    We thoroughly investigated Sosua International School in La Mulata. Spoke with the Administration. Double checked their claims that they are " officially affiliated in the USA". Requested lists of the students who graduated. To see their academic success. And we were shocked with what we found out.
    Diplomatic schools in SD are better. But driving every day to the capital back and forth - is not a legit idea. So we gave up on these plans.
    99% of immigrants from the Third World countries move to America for a better education and future of their children.
    Wishing all the best to the OP anyway!

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    We thoroughly investigated Sosua International School in La Mulata. Spoke with the Administration. Double checked their claims that they are " officially affiliated in the USA". Requested lists of the students who graduated. To see their academic success. And we were shocked with what we found out.
    Diplomatic schools in SD are better. But driving every day to the capital back and forth - is not a legit idea. So we gave up on these plans.
    99% of immigrants from the Third World countries move to America for a better education and future of their children.
    Wishing all the best to the OP anyway!
    So you checked one school and that was it? 99% of immigrants go to the USA for dollars.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast