Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    What is an expresso?
    Metro Tour has several expresso busses from Sosua to Santo Domingo.

2. Likes Tamborista liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What is an expresso?
    you tell me coach.was that necessary?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

We opened our accounts years ago at BHD with my passport and husband cedula, sister-in-law walked us in. Easy peasy.

BUT.....a few years ago they locked our account because there was no activity for several months while we were out of the country. OMG what a nightmare to reopen it. I thought Mr AE was going to hit someone. If we didn’t have about $7,000usd sitting in the account, I swear we would have walked out. All of it was due to US laws. The most aggravating part was my BIL was VP at main branch in SD (we were in San Cristobal) and nothing he could do.

After that fiasco, we now leave cash with BIL to make small deposits every month so that never happens again.

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    We opened our accounts years ago at BHD with my passport and husband cedula, sister-in-law walked us in. Easy peasy.

BUT.....a few years ago they locked our account because there was no activity for several months while we were out of the country. OMG what a nightmare to reopen it. I thought Mr AE was going to hit someone. If we didn’t have about $7,000usd sitting in the account, I swear we would have walked out. All of it was due to US laws. The most aggravating part was my BIL was VP at main branch in SD (we were in San Cristobal) and nothing he could do.

After that fiasco, we now leave cash with BIL to make small deposits every month so that never happens again.
    Although I can resolve my problem in getting an account opened with one phone call from the managing agent of where I live
    I'm now thinking twice about putting ANY money in a DR bank.

6. Likes USA DOC liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    Although I can resolve my problem in getting an account opened with one phone call from the managing agent of where I live
    I'm now thinking twice about putting ANY money in a DR bank.
    We don’t keep a lot there, once a month we write a check from our USA checking account and deposit it into our dollar account. Then we withdraw as needed. We closed the peso account. No FDIC type coverage there, if bank fails you could lose all or most, so stick to the bigger, better ones.

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Curious, which bank?
    Popular. JD.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience was equally as frustrating, mostly my fault for not speaking Spanish. Went to a bank recommended by a friend, but chose a branch about 45 minutes from our apartment because we were there for something else. Brought our DL, passports, and personal referrals. Took about two hours using Google Translate, told to come back in three days. Made the trip 3 days later, but didn’t bring passports since we had already presented them. Told no can do without passports, come back tomorrow. So we did.

Now we need proof of employment, come back tomorrow. I managed to get online and print my check stub, but couldn’t get to Mr. NelleG’s. Go back the next day with mine, and after about two hours I threw in the towel. No idea what they were doing, no one there spoke any English although one customer did and helped us a little. Finally I said never mind, I don’t want this account any more. Went next door to the store we had originally driven out there to shop at, and one of my references called me. Apparently the bank had called them and wanted me to come back, the account was ready.

We probably spent 4-6 hours IN the bank, never mind the 45 minutes travel each way each time getting this done. Oh, and it’s only in my name, since we couldn’t get the other pay stub online. I only want this account to be able to pay bills for the apartment. Not sure yet if it was worth the aggravation.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I opened my Banreservas account
    with nothing more a passport and
    a smile back in 2014, however I had to try several
    different locations before I found
    someone who would help me...
    but this is pretty common when trying
    to get anything done in this country. If
    the 1st one is too dumb or unwilling to
    cooperate/ help, simply go to the next.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Claro was fun too. Went looking for wifi for the apartment. They wanted 3 months record of said bank account otherwise no go. You mean this open ended credit card (from US) is not good enough? Altice was happy to take my credit card but I don’t yet know if they’ve done the installation. Will find out next week.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What is an expresso?
    Go to Merriam-Webster if you are more interested than just busting balls.

13. Likes windeguy liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast