Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    Popular. JD.
    Banco Popular is known to be one of the hardest banks in which to open an account. Try banco Santa Cruz or Banreservas.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If posters have a problem opening an account, it would be helpful to post the name of the bank so that readers here considering opening an account won't waste their time going to that bank.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My God what was the name of the bank? I know some banks are really easy and some of them are missing freaking impossible

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted it already.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was Banreservas, recommended by a friend who lives there year round. Now I’m trying to set up online access and that’s going about as well as opening the account.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NelleG View Post
    Claro was fun too. Went looking for wifi for the apartment. They wanted 3 months record of said bank account otherwise no go. You mean this open ended credit card (from US) is not good enough? Altice was happy to take my credit card but I don’t yet know if they’ve done the installation. Will find out next week.
    When I tried to open my first internet account with Claro, I had a bank account, a cedula, my foreign passport and I still had problems. I offered to pay the entire years fees upfront in cash and they still wouldn't open the account. I forget their objection but was finally successful a couple of months later.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience was equally as frustrating, mostly my fault for not speaking Spanish. Went to a bank recommended by a friend, but chose a branch about 45 minutes from our apartment because we were there for something else. Brought our DL, passports, and personal referrals. Took about two hours using Google Translate, told to come back in three days. Made the trip 3 days later, but didn’t bring passports since we had already presented them. Told no can do without passports, come back tomorrow. So we did.

Now we need proof of employment, come back tomorrow. I managed to get online and print my check stub, but couldn’t get to Mr. NelleG’s. Go back the next day with mine, and after about two hours I threw in the towel. No idea what they were doing, no one there spoke any English although one customer did and helped us a little. Finally I said never mind, I don’t want this account any more. Went next door to the store we had originally driven out there to shop at, and one of my references called me. Apparently the bank had called them and wanted me to come back, the account was ready.

We probably spent 4-6 hours IN the bank, never mind the 45 minutes travel each way each time getting this done. Oh, and it’s only in my name, since we couldn’t get the other pay stub online. I only want this account to be able to pay bills for the apartment. Not sure yet if it was worth the aggravation.
    The woman I spoke to thought she spoke english. So I switched to Spanish and English. My partner was with me and I said she has an account here. She said "the girl" only has a debit account. I said she is a "woman" not a girl. She said it again. I said perhaps you didn't hear me. Oh, she heard me alright and said "for now that's not important" " Hmmm well it's important to me and this conversation is over". She says "have a good day". I really can't post here what I said but she got her disrespect in kind right back at her.But I did finish it of with "Have a blessed day" and walked out.
    It may not be my country but I'm not here to put up with that kind of service from a "bank".

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and you are looking for financial partners johne........whew!

we're getting a sniff here.........

fasten the seatbelts

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Claro was fun too. Went looking for wifi for the apartment. They wanted 3 months record of said bank account otherwise no go. You mean this open ended credit card (from US) is not good enough? Altice was happy to take my credit card but I don’t yet know if they’ve done the installation. Will find out next week.
    I've been with Altice for a year now only on credit card. Have phone and home wifi. Very happy. Will never go elsewhere.

10. Likes NelleG liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny all these stories. And not only in this thread. Me seems US citizens encounter the most problems...

I never had a problem getting a bank account here. Not with my passport in the past before I had a cedula with BanInter and BanReservas or with my later until today accounts with BPD and BHD.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast