Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't want Americans banking with them because they have to file reports to Uncle Sam.

A friend of mine is dual US and Icelandic citizen and went into banco Popular and tried to open an account with his US passport. Got pretty much the same ring around as the OP. He went into another branch and opened an account with his Icelandic passport, no problemo.......

It's not the Dominican banks creating the problems it's the US IRS and its overbearing reach to all its citizens of the LAND OF THE FREE!!!!!!!

2. Likes etolw, NanSanPedro, caribmike, irsav, johne and 4 others liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I had repeated myself in the past and still do -- banking in this country is by far the most frustrating, inefficient thing a common sense person could ever endure.

The ineptness by the entities is just daunting.

4. Likes NanSanPedro liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Scotia is not better. It's a canadian bank, but with dominican regulations. Dig this: as a 5 year regular customer (they know me very well) they asked for a whole bunch of documents again because I wanted to open a savings account. I told them they were crazy. My opinion: they have crazy rules to avoid money laundering, and we have to suffer because of their stupid rules.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

6. Likes nekokatt liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Bob for this information. The sites emphasize that a personal reference would be helpful and in that regard one bank with branches in SP and SD told my reference "Just have him come n and it will be taken care of". I didn't know this before I went to my local and more convient bank. That being said I am sitting on the fence as to, do I want an account in this country?
    My travel schedule to the states will allow me to use other options for my banking needs. For now, I'm OK with eliminating even a potential stress point in my life.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    and you are looking for financial partners johne........whew!

we're getting a sniff here.........

fasten the seatbelts
    LOL. That's "MY life partner". No, don't worry I don't need a financial partner. Thank God.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Blame your government. The US dictates the Dominican banks what information to collect... and to pass northwards.
    Sure, the teller could have developed a nicer way of saying "we don't want savings, we want to lend".

11. Likes Son of a sailor, sylindr, NanSanPedro liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as its easy to blame the US for everything in this case the Dominican Republic joined this anti money laundering initiative in 2016...
    http://www.cicad.oas.org/Main/Templa...mework_eng.asp
    Last edited by Abuela; 02-02-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typo to should have been the

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Save yourself the aggro and stay away from dr banks........ just my opinion.

14. Likes Harleysrock, NanSanPedro liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Save yourself the aggro and stay away from dr banks........ just my opinion.
    I second the motion. lol, now that I can have it I don't want it.

16. Likes NanSanPedro liked this post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast