Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Opening a bank account is like having an tax audit in the states

This week I went to the bank to open an account just so I would have a place to put dollars for the monthly expenses. Nothing complicated. Don't want a loan. Or a mortgage. Nothing like that. The amount of information numb nuts wanted was nothing short of basically telling me...I don't want your business. She presented me a typed list of requirements that included my tax returns that would be reviewed by legal department in SD.
    I said Are you sure? Her answer was "Have a good day". She had a nasty attitude that made feel as if I was back in NYC at the motor vehicular bureau or trying to deal with a public utilities company.

I walked out which I'm sure made her very happy. SMH at some of the ways of the DR. Of course I understand providing identity. But to say your legal dept will review my tax returns? I should have said even my President doesn't show his returns under court order so why would I show it in a corrupt country? But, numb nuts would not understand so I left and went for an expresso across the street.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious, which bank?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You should have done some research first, good advice in this thread,

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...=1#post1936918

I have an account with Banco Santa Cruz, which only required my passport and a recommendation/signature from a local resident.

Maybe US residents need more documentation, I am an happy European
    We do not need FATCA forms, my taxman does not have dominican powers
    Last edited by etolw; 02-01-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added FACTA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

What is an expresso?

5. Likes CristoRey liked this post
    Dislikes johne disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    What is an expresso?
    less common variant of ESPRESSO

Have you had yours today, this is a thread about banks

7. Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Which bank are you talking about? Were you looking to deposit a large sum of money? Were you opening the account in the name of a corporation? What other info did they ask for?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    This week I went to the bank to open an account just so I would have a place to put dollars for the monthly expenses. Nothing complicated. Don't want a loan. Or a mortgage. Nothing like that. The amount of information numb nuts wanted was nothing short of basically telling me...I don't want your business. She presented me a typed list of requirements that included my tax returns that would be reviewed by legal department in SD.
    I said Are you sure? Her answer was "Have a good day". She had a nasty attitude that made feel as if I was back in NYC at the motor vehicular bureau or trying to deal with a public utilities company.

I walked out which I'm sure made her very happy. SMH at some of the ways of the DR. Of course I understand providing identity. But to say your legal dept will review my tax returns? I should have said even my President doesn't show his returns under court order so why would I show it in a corrupt country? But, numb nuts would not understand so I left and went for an expresso across the street.
    ..welcome to Dominican business...all banks are different...I think NYC is ;part of the DR....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    ..welcome to Dominican business...all banks are different...I think NYC is ;part of the DR....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    What is an expresso?
    Something that happens fast, an unknown term in the DR.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I opened my acct in the BHD with my passport, income tax receipt from the government and my Canadian bank acct statement, and my Dominican wife (who already had accounts there) no issues, no attitude either.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast