Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Pompeo warns African nations to beware of the string attached from Chinese "partnerships".

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...rely-on-china/

2. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminder.....all posts must be China-DR related. I'm leaving Chico's because the warning would apply to DR as well, but it's tenuous.

Admin
    DR1.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Reminder.....all posts must be China-DR related. I'm leaving Chico's because the warning would apply to DR as well, but it's tenuous.
    My comment was absolutely DR related. I just did not include DR in my sentence, but that should have been obvious it was DR related. If you did right, both post should have been deleted, or none.
    One could believe that US based moderators of this forum are fast to delete arguments they dont like, but I would like to think it is not true.

Expect this post to be deleted, no problem. I have no need to discuss this subject.

Thanks for reading.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely. Dominicans, too late they made the deal with the devil. “Not to aid Dominicans. Anyone here who knows the history I think must agree. Just study history.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    The Dominican government has not yet taken the US$600 million loan from China.

"Zhang said that the US$600 million loan approved by the Chinese government for the improvement of distribution lines depends on the Dominican government. He said it needs to be approved through legal mechanisms, including feasibility studies and a tender be called so that Chinese companies can participate. “The ball is in the court of the Dominican government,” he said."

From DR1 Daily News 14 January 2020
    Maybe it was misread, but.... had heard fairly recently that govt had taken the loan and already spent it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Like most parts of the world the chinese are evident in dominican society but nowhere near as much as US influence. There are old chinese that have several generations living in China town. The first having arrived 150 years ago. Some do not even speak Spanish. Then theres the Chinos de Bonao and other communities across the country. Recent survey put the population at 60,000 of chinese decedent DR state has been mostly wary of chinese immigration and have often turned back chinese trying to enter on the Haitian border. Almost all towns have chinese businesses. Besides the takeaways they also have many clothes stores selling items directly from Chine. They run most of the sex hotels cabanas. There are also many successful chinese that own luxury restaurants in SD and Santiago. Recently several chinese manufacturing firms have set up in tax free zones and the copper mine Cormidom is Chinese owned. The chinese presence is wide and established but dwarfed be the US in the DR.

8. Likes etolw liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    Some of you really need to expand your news sources... and ability to process.
    Except in this case I believe to be a true statement. We all know about Breitbart and usually ignore all their dreck but in this instance it is so believable that China is planning and plotting, plotting and planning. And which govts most likely to so needy and take the bait.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Like most parts of the world the chinese are evident in dominican society but nowhere near as much as US influence. There are old chinese that have several generations living in China town. The first having arrived 150 years ago. Some do not even speak Spanish. Then theres the Chinos de Bonao and other communities across the country. Recent survey put the population at 60,000 of chinese decedent DR state has been mostly wary of chinese immigration and have often turned back chinese trying to enter on the Haitian border. Almost all towns have chinese businesses. Besides the takeaways they also have many clothes stores selling items directly from Chine. They run most of the sex hotels cabanas. There are also many successful chinese that own luxury restaurants in SD and Santiago. Recently several chinese manufacturing firms have set up in tax free zones and the copper mine Cormidom is Chinese owned. The chinese presence is wide and established but dwarfed be the US in the DR.
    Which as it should be. Dominicans have more in common with the US like baseball, windsurfing, sport fishing and multitudes of US cars and very close neighbors. And large communities of Dominicans in the US as well as many Dominicans working on cruise lines out of the US.
    Also a good amount of tourism from Canada and the US.
    China will never replace that and like you pointed out many Chinese living here for decades don't speak Spanish. They don't assimilate well. And they treat Dominican employees like dirt, paying the lowest wages and not paying them what they are owed when they leave.
    The Chinese don't do anyone favors by their funding or presence.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Which as it should be. Dominicans have more in common with the US like baseball, windsurfing, sport fishing and multitudes of US cars and very close neighbors. And large communities of Dominicans in the US as well as many Dominicans working on cruise lines out of the US.
    Also a good amount of tourism from Canada and the US.
    China will never replace that and like you pointed out many Chinese living here for decades don't speak Spanish. They don't assimilate well. And they treat Dominican employees like dirt, paying the lowest wages and not paying them what they are owed when they leave.
    The Chinese don't do anyone favors by their funding or presence.
    Totally agree DR is much better alined to the US were it has many things in common. Chinese investors bring their people, their products, their culture and theres no compromise.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

So the Chinese gave $600 million to the economy for electrical improvement...but each month almost that much comes in from remittances from the United States. Multiply times 12 and that is just private money, not counting US Government grants.

https://listindiario.com/economia/20...mesas-en-enero

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456