Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominicana Divorcing an American Man

I am friends with a Dominican woman in her late 30s.

About 10 years ago, she married an American man in the Dominican Republic. He is now in his mid 60s. All went well for about four years, before the American man abandoned her and she has not heard from him for six years. No divorce has been initiated, they are still married in the eyes of the government of the Dominican Republic. She says she cannot afford a divorce.

During the time of their marriage, the American man provided her a monthly stipend of $3,000 US, which obviously provided her a very comfortable lifestyle by Dominican standards.

She now works as a housekeeper making about 10,000 pesos (~$200 USD a month) and has no higher education.

She has one child, but the American man is NOT the father.

She has never been to the United States.

The American man is thought to be of upper-middle class means with a municipal pension, nice house, nice cars, boat, etc living in Florida. He is not known to have any assets in the Dominican Republic.

I have been able to track down the man based on the info on the Dominican marriage certificate.

Can the Dominicana initiate a divorce in the United States? Would a divorce in the US provide her with a better chance to get access to US-based marital assets (such as income generated since marriage, gains in stocks, gains in 401k, new cars, new boats -- I believe his Florida house was acquired PRIOR to marriage), and possibly alimony, as compared to a divorce initiated in the DR?

She wants to get a divorce in the DR, but if getting a divorce in the US means she has a better chance of soaking this guy and bringing her family out of poverty, then I want to encourage her to go that route. I can help her locate an attorney in the US.

I know Florida has a provision where the Court can force the well-to-do spouse to pay a poor spouse's attorney fees. Would that apply in this case?

Anyone have experience with this?

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gochiefs321 View Post
    I am friends with a Dominican woman in her late 30s.

About 10 years ago, she married an American man in the Dominican Republic. He is now in his mid 60s. All went well for about four years, before the American man abandoned her and she has not heard from him for six years. No divorce has been initiated, they are still married in the eyes of the government of the Dominican Republic. She says she cannot afford a divorce.

During the time of their marriage, the American man provided her a monthly stipend of $3,000 US, which obviously provided her a very comfortable lifestyle by Dominican standards.

She now works as a housekeeper making about 10,000 pesos (~$200 USD a month) and has no higher education.

She has one child, but the American man is NOT the father.

She has never been to the United States.

The American man is thought to be of upper-middle class means with a municipal pension, nice house, nice cars, boat, etc living in Florida. He is not known to have any assets in the Dominican Republic.

I have been able to track down the man based on the info on the Dominican marriage certificate.

Can the Dominicana initiate a divorce in the United States? Would a divorce in the US provide her with a better chance to get access to US-based marital assets (such as income generated since marriage, gains in stocks, gains in 401k, new cars, new boats -- I believe his Florida house was acquired PRIOR to marriage), and possibly alimony, as compared to a divorce initiated in the DR?

She wants to get a divorce in the DR, but if getting a divorce in the US means she has a better chance of soaking this guy and bringing her family out of poverty, then I want to encourage her to go that route. I can help her locate an attorney in the US.

I know Florida has a provision where the Court can force the well-to-do spouse to pay a poor spouse's attorney fees. Would that apply in this case?

Anyone have experience with this?
    Soaking the guy, What did bring to the marriage other than a ready made family. If she had any brains with 3000 US per month she should have had a house or savings. i doubt HE JUST ABANDONED HER. She probably was with her Dominican chulo and he said f...k this.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Soaking the guy, What did bring to the marriage other than a ready made family. If she had any brains with 3000 US per month she should have had a house or savings. i doubt HE JUST ABANDONED HER. She probably was with her Dominican chulo and he said f...k this.
    Maybe I don't know the full story. But I do want her to get whatever is rightfully hers, regardless.

4. Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If she can't afford a divorce in the DR, how is she ever going to afford one in the US?(assuming it's possible)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    If she can't afford a divorce in the DR, how is she ever going to afford one in the US?(assuming it's possible)
    From the research I've done, Florida has a provision that allows for the court to award attorney fees to the poorer spouse in a divorce if there is a significant disparity in income/wealth and ability to pay between the two divorcing spouses. On the surface it seems this could apply given he's an upper-middle class American and she's a poor Dominicana, but I know this case is a little unusual.

7. Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OP I assume you are brokering a deal with her. Why/how do I know this? This was written by someone that is doing this not for just a friend but has skin in the game....IMHO. Presented well, but you don't have a clue as to how to ring the bell.

9. Likes JDJones, NanSanPedro liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How? She has OP on her team to figure that out for a cut on the deal.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    How? She has OP on her team to figure that out for a cut on the deal.
    No deal, per se. But she has offered to let me stay with her in her Barrio before. And while I appreciate the offer...uhmm...no thanks. Not my idea of a vacation.

If she invites me to stay with her in her new luxury villa paid for by this divorce, I might take her up on that offer, however.

A "long game" play one might say.

12. Dislikes Tamborista, NanSanPedro disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

why does she need more money. she is living on 200 bucks a month now. and she obviously has no idea what to do with money when he gets it. 4 years at 3000 a month is 144000 and now she wants more. she had her ride now its over.

14. Likes CaribeDigital, Garyexpat liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gochiefs321 View Post
    Maybe I don't know the full story. But I do want her to get whatever is rightfully hers, regardless.
    Nothing is "rightfully hers". What did she do to help acquire anything in the relationship. This is exactly why these bonehead expats should not not marry thier favorite hookers.

16. Likes sylindr, Big liked this post
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast