Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I think 8 million is for the DR total. In 2018, PUJ had 3.9 million passengers.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...ure-Plans.html
    *arrivals, multiply X2 as they also go back home, thus total passengers.

2. Likes cavok, Riva_31 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I think 8 million is for the DR total. In 2018, PUJ had 3.9 million passengers.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...ure-Plans.html
    Just to clarify the amount of Visitors received is diferent than the amount of pax in an airport. The pax in airports are counted 2 times, pax in and pax out. The movement of passingers for PUJ was 7.1 Millions as counts in and out. Tourist received in the destination is half of those 7.1 millions that is 3.5 Millions, the total of residents and dominicans using PUJ from that amount was 40,530 pax.

The total of passinger in all airports in DR was 14 Millions, this is acording to Central Bank that counts all in and outs from Migration system.

6.5 Millions tourist plus 500,000 Dominicans and residents traveled in 2019

4. Likes KyleMackey liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

At present PUJ has the best air traffic controllers that I've experienced in the DR.
    They manage to fit the little bug smashers and choppers in between fat and fast jets very well. Totally unlike Las Americas....

I reckon any new airport is a boon anyway but I can think of a few more places where just a little airstrip would be welcome.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    At present PUJ has the best air traffic controllers that I've experienced in the DR.
    They manage to fit the little bug smashers and choppers in between fat and fast jets very well. Totally unlike Las Americas....

I reckon any new airport is a boon anyway but I can think of a few more places where just a little airstrip would be welcome.
    Back in The Day when I was flying into the DR from FL in y 182, getting passed to Dominican ATC meant pretty much being incommunicado, the radar and radio equipment was so bad. It was like flying VFR under IFR rules.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post

Some of the guys working in PUJ before was controlling SDQ.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The approval of a new airport for the east tourist zone is more political than for a need. Punta Cana airport serves the area well and La Romana is underexploited. Tend to think the Hazoury's, of Cap Cana, the developers, wanted an airport they can call their own to compete with Punta Cana Group and Casa del Campo.

The next issue is there will be a need for a regional air traffic control. Right now there is no regional air traffic control. Control of the immediate airspace for the east is provided by each airport, PUJ and LRM. The addition of a third airport would reasonably require a regional traffic control to keep aircraft separated and passengers safe. Don't think there is money in the government budget to construct one. Don't think the Dominican Air Ministry thought out the approval of a new airport well. Air carriers will be reluctant to service the east without a regional traffic control. The distance from Macao, the site of the new airport to PUJ is about 35 km, too close.

Regards,

PJT

9. Likes Riva_31 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    Just to clarify the amount of Visitors received is diferent than the amount of pax in an airport. The pax in airports are counted 2 times, pax in and pax out. The movement of passingers for PUJ was 7.1 Millions as counts in and out. Tourist received in the destination is half of those 7.1 millions that is 3.5 Millions, the total of residents and dominicans using PUJ from that amount was 40,530 pax.

The total of passinger in all airports in DR was 14 Millions, this is acording to Central Bank that counts all in and outs from Migration system.

6.5 Millions tourist plus 500,000 Dominicans and residents traveled in 2019
    Spell check: passEngers

11. Likes Riva_31 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Their argument why it is so close to PUJ is that Madrid, Berlin, and NYC all have multiple airports really close to each other. Sure. That's great. What does that have to do with Punta Cana? Punta Cana is not Berlin, Madrid, or New York city. LOL!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by healimonster View Post
    Their argument why it is so close to PUJ is that Madrid, Berlin, and NYC all have multiple airports really close to each other. Sure. That's great. What does that have to do with Punta Cana? Punta Cana is not Berlin, Madrid, or New York city. LOL!
    Correct, those are cities way bigger than Punta Cana with a population of millions, and receivemore than 10 times the amount of visitors than Punta Cana.

Another point that Im not agree is will bring competition and better prices, but for who? Airlines paying less fees do not mean will reduce their prices while still the tickets will have very big percents of its value in taxes, so that will be more earnings for airlines not for passengers, we are not talking about supermarkets.

Also says will be more jobs, but what I see is that if an airline move from Punta Cana to Bavaro is taking all their employees so no new jobs there, and in the case they have flights into both airports they will pick up hrs where employees can move from one airport to another so no need to hire more new workers, as you said Punta CAna is not Berlin, Madrid or New York.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    Correct, those are cities way bigger than Punta Cana with a population of millions, and receivemore than 10 times the amount of visitors than Punta Cana.

Another point that Im not agree is will bring competition and better prices, but for who? Airlines paying less fees do not mean will reduce their prices while still the tickets will have very big percents of its value in taxes, so that will be more earnings for airlines not for passengers, we are not talking about supermarkets.

Also says will be more jobs, but what I see is that if an airline move from Punta Cana to Bavaro is taking all their employees so no new jobs there, and in the case they have flights into both airports they will pick up hrs where employees can move from one airport to another so no need to hire more new workers, as you said Punta CAna is not Berlin, Madrid or New York.
    DR wants more tourism and development. My guess is that the Tourism people had multiple talks with PUJ about future additional capacity. As well future development will happen further North, away from PUJ, Macao and Uvero Alto etc. From the video the airport is being designed to be easily expandable. My guess is that the DR execs want the new airport to be able to handle 2Xs total passengers as PUJ. That would put the region on par with Cancun as it relates to total passengers.
    Bus ride from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen and further South is 1.5 hours or more, so something else the DR can avoid. The Hotel Zone is very close to the Airport.

Of course new employees would be needed.

Very modern design even where buses line up.

15. Dislikes jeb321 disliked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast