Fishing DR

madcaster

Jun 2, 2002
I will be in Dominican this winter (oct-may) and am looking for any information on the available fishing. Both fresh and saltwater. Are there rivers and lakes? Any info would be appreciated.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Madcaster

There are plenty of opportunities for fishing in the DR. Most of the Commercial Sport fishing boats are for Off-shore fishing. But there are plenty of places for the inshore and freshwater angler.
In the DR there are plenty of reservoirs that hold large amounts of Large Mouth Bass. THese reservoirs are called "Presas" with the 2 largest being El Presa de Hatillo and Presa de Rincon.
Many of the Rivers in the DR hold vast schools of Snook and tarpon. Particularly rivers along the south coast. Rio Haina, Rio Ozama and the rio Chavon being some of the more famous.
Tell me what kind of fishing action you are looking for and I am sure I can guide you in the right Direction!

Tony C.

madcaster

Jun 2, 2002
Tony
I am a guide in northern Canada, but am looking to start my own business in warmer climates. I will be spending the winter in DR as my girlfriend has a teaching job there. I will be looking into the possibility of a business, but more importantly to keep myself busy. I love all aspects of fishing: freshwater, salt, inshore and off shore. My preferance is flyfishing, but will fish using any method. I will be staying in SD, but will do trips all over the island to try new stuff. Tell me all you know and what to expect. Snook and tarpon are a definite bonus, as is largemouth. Any exotic species in the rivers and lakes? How is the inshore fishing and is there access to much from shore? I'm there long enought that i would even consider getting a small boat. How much do you fish? Could use a fishin' friend in DR.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I use to live in the DR and still visit 4 or 5 times a year. this last trip I didn't have time for any fishing but I usually pack a couple of Fly-rods with me when I go.
Now for the Fishing!
the DR has some of the most beautiful Trout streams and rivers you have ever seen. Cool, Clean water. Alas! No trout!
The largemouth bass that are found in the reservoirs were stocked there years ago and have become quite well established. 5 and 6 pounders are quite common.
The only place that I know of where there are boats to charter for inshore fishing are at Casa de Campo on the Chavon River.
Tarpon and Snook are quite common in the mouths of many of the rivers of the southern and eastern coasts of the DR as well as in Samana bay. Most of these rivers are accesible by land. many times I have hired a local fisherman and his "Yola"(A locally built fishing skiff) to take me up the rivers.
There are some Bonefish spots I have found in the DR but those are my secrete!
I have also had good luck fishng the many beaches in the DR. Most are protected by barrier reefs. I just wade out a bit and cast towards the reef. Lots of Jacks, Barracudas and Snappers. On the Outer part of the reefs you can find snappers, groupers and some Bonito. remember to strip fast!
Just be prepared to find yourself attracting a crowd when you start false Casting. Fly-Fisherman are rare down there. Bring your own fly-fishing supplies as they are non-existant in the DR.
Many of the tourist areas have Charter boats for off shore fishing. The eastern part of the DR is a big Billfish fishing area. Mainly White Marlin. Many Tournaments are held there.
Very few Dominicans are Sport Fisherman and the few that are stick to offshore and have their own boats. Any Angling business you might consider starting would have to depend mainly on tourists.

Tony C.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
brown trout

Has anyone tried to establsih brown trout or other trout species. I mention brown trout because they handle a little warmer water than rainbow.
John

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Good post

I used to live in Costa Rica near San Jose which is at an elevation maybe comparable to Jarabacoa, They have trout farms there.

I am pretty sure trout would do well in mountain streams here as they are as cold or even year round average temps lower than a sea level stream in Canada. Maybe the subject for another thread.

25 years ago you could fly-fish for bonefish in Boca Chica. With today's boat trafic it would be be a joke, but the bonefish are still there.

I have fished for snook on the Soco river between San Pedro de Macoris and La Romana.

I don't fly-fish but an area that may be a hidden jewel for it are the flats north of the Saona island near the mangroves of the Parque national del este..It is worth the trip to check that area out.

I have also fished the Presa de Hatillo...Love the place, not too many people know of this area but there is a fair amount of bass fisherman that go every weekend. The Presa Hatillo is near cotui. If you travel on the Duarte highway turn-off at Piedra Blanca and take the road to Hatillo.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
my new home

I am moving down in 17 months. As I am going to be under 40 and healthy I figure little things that take years to see would be worth the effort to me.
Maybe try to stock a stream or two in secret to see if a populaion could go wild. Maybe stock one that is only accesable by horseback so as to let the fish have a chance to make it.
Who knows. Woudl be interesting to try.
John