Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DR tourism continues to break record revenue results.

    As many legitimate people who live on the North coast can see, business is booming, tourism is seeing some of its best revenues in history and more families are visiting thr DR than ever before. Tourism Ministry’s Tourism Barometer, which indicates that the country had revenues of US$4.7 billion in 2012 and 2019 is estimated at US$7.7 billion, a 64.3% jump.

    So with a booming economy and tourism growing at a rapid rate, why do we see some people forcing their negetive views that DR is in some sort of downward spiral? Well from what I gather, many of the businesses who are not doing well are those who lack the will to compete or were just ripping off tourists and locals in the first place. Many poorly managed hotel businesses have cried their way through 2019 blaming everyone except themselves, many of which refuse to compete. Those sort of people typically tend to be a plague to the DR with their poorly run operations and like all poorly run businesses, customers end up going somewhere else.

    For those who operate competitive businesses that are not focused on ripping off tourists have seen 2019 as one of the best years in history. And the statistics and data prove DR did great. If someone tells you otherwise, look to see if they're just an incompetent business person losing business to people who are not focuses on ripping off the tourism industry.

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, business is booming on the north coast, as far as Cabarete goes, anyway. But it's February, and we're still in the peak season for snowbirds. Last summer was dead as a dodo here and I expect the same to be the case this year. So it seems the new model for the north coast is busy winters, quiet summers.

    Punta Cana, however, seems to be a different story, and that's where the numbers continue to increase.

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    3,399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Definitely not Americans going to north coast. All the flights into POP from the USA are less than half full most days.

  4. Likes windeguy liked this post
  5. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George101 View Post
    Tourism Ministry’s Tourism Barometer, which indicates that the country had revenues of US$4.7 billion in 2012 and 2019 is estimated at US$7.7 billion, a 64.3% jump.
    In 2018, revenue from tourism activity topped US$7.5 billion, and in 2019 rose to US$7.7 billion, US$128.9 million more than in 2018, an increase of 1.70%. Rate of increase seems to be slowing down quite a bit lately.

  6. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badpiece33 View Post
    Definitely not Americans going to north coast. All the flights into POP from the USA are less than half full most days.
    We travel on AA from POP-MIA and back about once a month. Just about every flight is full. But it's always been that way for about.... 20 years so no real change.

  7. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I do not follow the numbers; but I do see a marked increase in Yacht Tourism in the North Coast... they come mostly from June to November to avoid the hurricane season.
    It has been my stoic belief that if DR provided the Canadian Snowbirds with the same Tourist Visas as does Florida/USA ; this place would be a boom for tourism.... 6 month Snowbird would seriously consider the DR simply because of the Health care costs. I know I would on the drop of a hat.
    I have family who stopped going to Florida simply due to the high cost of Insurance.
    If one has to die from Natural Causes (and many do) it is better in a country where final costs are minimal.
    OH well!
    Thats how things are...not wanting to become President of RD; just a simple Resident who enjoys the static and dynamic scenery and rum.
    Russell

  8. Likes etolw, JDJones, ctrob liked this post
  9. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badpiece33 View Post
    Definitely not Americans going to north coast. All the flights into POP from the USA are less than half full most days.
    That can't be right...., every flight I've been on going to STI or POP has been packed full, the last time, and for the last 12 years, along with the obligatory crying baby.
    The clapping at landing on Dominican ground is a little strange though, were they all that worried?

    Although, heading back to MIA & JFK, on the last times, I've been blessed with an open seat on my aisle. guess it was cuz a tourist drinking from the mini bar.....lol (too soon?)

  10. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badpiece33 View Post
    Definitely not Americans going to north coast. All the flights into POP from the USA are less than half full most days.
    link?
    I doubt that.

  11. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I do not follow the numbers; but I do see a marked increase in Yacht Tourism in the North Coast... they come mostly from June to November to avoid the hurricane season.
    It has been my stoic belief that if DR provided the Canadian Snowbirds with the same Tourist Visas as does Florida/USA ; this place would be a boom for tourism.... 6 month Snowbird would seriously consider the DR simply because of the Health care costs. I know I would on the drop of a hat.
    I have family who stopped going to Florida simply due to the high cost of Insurance.
    If one has to die from Natural Causes (and many do) it is better in a country where final costs are minimal.
    OH well!
    Thats how things are...not wanting to become President of RD; just a simple Resident who enjoys the static and dynamic scenery and rum.
    Russell
    Russell, can you explain that a little more. Not sure I understand. Do Canadians not have insurance?

  12. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    We travel on AA from POP-MIA and back about once a month. Just about every flight is full. But it's always been that way for about.... 20 years so no real change.
    Yes, I also share that experience. The flights are full but of course there are fewer flights to POP/North Coast than before.

    At least I hope it will improve a little going forward, I do want to get reasonable flights and be able to eat at good restaurants.
    There is some hope in the recent new hotel projects here in NC.

    The last 22 years there has been a decline of 53% persons arriving at Puerto Plata, POP

    798 589 persons arrived at POP in 1998 including me, my first visit, Direct charter flight, that was nice!
    423 514 persons arrived at POP in 2019


    Here you can find the numbers

    As said earlier, looks good for the country as whole , but not for NC
    Last edited by etolw; 02-14-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added source for arrivals

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •