Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s my take on all this. There is a mix of corruption and incompetence here. I remember reading in the newspaper a while back that it cost about 20 million dollars to implement these electronic machines and keep in mind that they were not installed everywhere. That means it really cost between 5-8 million and the rest was stolen and the testing they said they did to verify everything would work was obviously not done properly if any was done at all.

There is zero excuse to not have a backup to go manual when these issues were noticed. Did they notice that the PLD was losing and used this as an excuse to suspend the elections? Very possible.

Were they incompetent? Absolutely.

Protests are great as long as they are peaceful. What’s more important is to educate the ones that are protesting so they are fully aware of what it is they are protesting and what the end goal should be. Demand changes and action and make sure this does not happen in the Presidential Elections that are coming up.
    Last edited by carlos; 02-24-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

2. Likes Caonabo, Russell, TheViking liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

As an observer, I see this as a good thing for the DR. It is the younger educated population that are holding these peaceful protests and the numbers are growing daily. I'm astonished that these events don't get at all violent, even when provoked when someone drove a purple bus with PLD all over it by a mass protest group. The bus came off completely unscathed.

What's more surprising is that they tidy up after them.

So these young, middle class, educated Dominicans are fed up with the corruption and mis-management of the current government and they want a change of the current status quo. Good for them. But do they have any suitable candidates who stand for these people? It seems that the only plausible option is Abinader, who looks like he has a good chance of winning.

If Dominicans want real democracy, then they need to abolish the system of government party jobs known as "Botellas", meaning that as long as your party is in power, you have a job. Many of which don't actually work to earn an income. We had a domestic employee who was offered a botella to be a school janitor because she was a PLD member. She quit her job with us and went to the school where she received a much better income than we could ever pay her, for a lot less work. She HAS to vote PLD, because as soon as they are out of power, she will loose her job.

I think that the military, police and other government agencies should be able to vote too and be able to choose their candidate and party freely.

4. Likes cobraboy, caribmike, etolw, AlterEgo, Caonabo and 1 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    As an observer, I see this as a good thing for the DR. It is the younger educated population that are holding these peaceful protests and the numbers are growing daily. I'm astonished that these events don't get at all violent, even when provoked when someone drove a purple bus with PLD all over it by a mass protest group. The bus came off completely unscathed.

What's more surprising is that they tidy up after them.

So these young, middle class, educated Dominicans are fed up with the corruption and mis-management of the current government and they want a change of the current status quo. Good for them. But do they have any suitable candidates who stand for these people? It seems that the only plausible option is Abinader, who looks like he has a good chance of winning.

If Dominicans want real democracy, then they need to abolish the system of government party jobs known as "Botellas", meaning that as long as your party is in power, you have a job. Many of which don't actually work to earn an income. We had a domestic employee who was offered a botella to be a school janitor because she was a PLD member. She quit her job with us and went to the school where she received a much better income than we could ever pay her, for a lot less work. She HAS to vote PLD, because as soon as they are out of power, she will loose her job.

I think that the military, police and other government agencies should be able to vote too and be able to choose their candidate and party freely.
    There is no way to "fix" political corruption until a viable civil service system is implemented.

That is no permanent guarantee, of course, as we've seen in the U.S. But as long as political patronage = a job, corruption will continue.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

6. Likes Russell liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope and pray to the universe these protestors are successful. You don't have to be a citizen to see the ongoing damage the current politicos cause along with the frustration of the typical, normal Dominicans not living in or off "the system."

But as we see from elsewhere, the entrenched political "establishment"...and that includes virtually all the current political parties and most of the businesses that support them...will not give up without a fight, and they have tools in gubmint and media to tilt the outcome as they want.

Could be a long, frustrating slog. But I suppose it has to start somewhere and sometime.
    Cabin Attendant,

8. Likes etolw, Billp16 liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Let’s keep this thread going.....

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The New York Times ends its story today on the Dominican protests by writing:

"Now, the nation has one of the highest electoral participation rates in Latin America, said Ramona Hernández, the director of the Dominican Studies Institute of the City University of New York.

“Despite everything that you hear, the people participate in the electoral process,” she said. “They believe in this thing, and this is why we worry.”

https://www.nytimes.com/article/domi...elections.html

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    The New York Times ends its story today on the Dominican protests by writing:

"Now, the nation has one of the highest electoral participation rates in Latin America, said Ramona Hernández, the director of the Dominican Studies Institute of the City University of New York.

“Despite everything that you hear, the people participate in the electoral process,” she said. “They believe in this thing, and this is why we worry.”

https://www.nytimes.com/article/domi...elections.html
    The people participate...some for a chicken or beer...or botella...
    Cabin Attendant,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    The people participate...some for a chicken or beer...or botella...
    North Coast , it’s a tee shirt & hat and 500 peso...there is even song out Willy wants his 500 peso back ...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Political Patronge is a well entrenched policy in most Western Governments in North America.... It will not change.... but the meaningful Government Bureaucrats can be effective if allowed to learn and apply their trades.... Like in Canada the Patronage appointments are on the fringes and , from what I can tell, are not really effective.... I do not want to get into the discussion but there are thousands of Patronage Jobs given out to Party faithfuls.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Abinader is leading the polls. As I said, few illusions, but the public want the PLD out.

One of the aspects of these protests that gives me hope for the future is that the young protestors organise clean-ups of the area after the crowds disperse. Contrast that with the litter-strewn aftermath of a conventional political rally.
    I think that 27 February holiday will bring out a lot of Protestors... hopefully peaceful at that.

15. Likes JDJones liked this post
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast