Citizenship

silver

Mar 29, 2002
Hello, I hope someone can advise or share information on the following scenario:

I am the son of Dominican citizens and I am a US citizen born in NYC. I lived most of my life in the US with the exception of 1982 to 1986 in the DR.

I presently reside in Europe and would like to formalize my Dominican status (ie, a passport etc.).

Is this something I can do through the Dominican Offices in Europe or do I need to physically visit the DR. My family in the DR have conflicting opinions on this.

Cheers

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is a long process but you qualify for Dominican citizenship. Your family can get the process going for you in the Dominican Republic. The departments you will deal with are the Ministry of Interior and Police (Secretaria de Interior y Policia) and the Central Electoral Board (Junta Central Electoral).

michelle

Apr 25, 2002
I am looking for more info on this as well. My husband is Dominican and I am Canadian. I understand that I qualify for citizenship and is easier to obtain than residency. My question is does getting my citizenship also give me the same advantages as having residency? ie: no tourist card needed to enter the country.

Thanks ,
Michelle

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes, you do not need to buy a tourist card upon entry, but you will need to get a Dominican passport.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
michelle said:
My question is does getting my citizenship also give me the same advantages as having residency? ie: no tourist card needed to enter the country.

Thanks ,
Michelle

As a naturalized Dominican citizen you would have the same rights and obligations as any other Dominican, including the right to vote and be elected to public office. The only exception that comes to mind is that you will not be able run for President or Vicepresident: only Dominicans born in the Dominican Republic or of Dominican parents can do that (Art. 50 of the Dominican Constitution).

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am not an expert, but after His Dumbness Hipo I put, once again, his foot in his mouth saying that he had an American passport I heard the pundits explain a zillion times that you cannot run for office if you have double nationality.

The DR allows double nationality. I have heard contradictory statements, but most people seem to agree that the US does not.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Regarding elective offices, the only limitation on Dominicans with two or more nationalities is that they cannot run for the Presidency or Vicepresidency ( Art. 11, Parragraph IV of the Constitution).

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
The USA does allow dual citizenship

Pib said:
The DR allows double nationality. I have heard contradictory statements, but most people seem to agree that the US does not.

I researched this recently for a friend who wanted to know if he getting Dominican citizenship would cause him to risk losing his American citizenship. It is discouraged but allowed.

The bottom line is that the USA does allow dual (or more) citizenship.

The first case is when the other citizenship was obtained first. If the USA citizenship was obtained first, one can still obtain citizenship elsewhere, but it can be a problem when the second country requires them to declare allegience to them. However, even if a person signs a document declaring allegience to another country, they will not lose their citizenship in the USA if it is not the person's intent to relinquish their USA citizenship.

A verbal statement to that affect is all that is required should the question ever come up.

There are dangers when the requirements of the different citizenships conflict.

I can provide USA government links that support this if anybody needs them.