Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default iSee Dead People

I know this is the living forum, and I have a topic on the dead. My point is that I have been to several funerals recently, including one this past weekend in Jarabacoa, and have noticed that people in the DR are prone to taking pictures of the dead in their iPhones. I find this unusual, but my NY Times email of the day indicates that this is now more frequent elsewhere as well. And you know how much I hate the "It happens everywhere" comments on things done here.

In a collision of technology and culture, of new habits and very old ones, we are beginning to photograph our dead again. Such images may feel jarring on social media, but they have a long history. Above, the late Robert Alexander and his sister Kary Manzanares.

For families like Mr. Alexander’s who are choosing home funerals and eschewing the services of conventional funeral parlors, photography is a celebration of that choice.
    For more, see:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/s...22ion=longRead

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

People in America do it, too.
    I have seen photos of people cheesing and posing with the stiff in the casket... and they were not Dominican....
    People are tacky all over the world, even the United States of America...
    Weren't there American soldiers posing with dead people?!?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I know this is the living forum, and I have a topic on the dead. My point is that I have been to several funerals recently, including one this past weekend in Jarabacoa, and have noticed that people in the DR are prone to taking pictures of the dead in their iPhones. I find this unusual, but my NY Times email of the day indicates that this is now more frequent elsewhere as well. And you know how much I hate the "It happens everywhere" comments on things done here.
    How can you tell which one of your friends has the new iPhone ?

He takes pictures of dead people.....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen it done at 2nd line
    funerals back home. Now a
    days everyone has a camera
    on their hip so I'd expect to see
    it happening more often.