Upcoming Trip need info

Michiganders

Jun 3, 2002
My fiance and I are honeymooning in the DR at the Villas Doradas in POP the first two weeks in July. Any suggestions for special-don't-miss-this? Also, we were considering renting motorcycles to get around in, as my fiance is somewhat handicapped and can't walk very far. Would welcome any suggestions/experiences/etc.
Feel free to email me also at heatherbrae@worldnet.att.net.
And Thanks!:cool: P.S. I forgot to mention that we are: Spanish speaking, experienced divers/snorkelers, experienced travelers.

Last edited:

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Michiganders said:
My fiance and I are honeymooning in the DR at the Villas Doradas in POP the first two weeks in July. Any suggestions for special-don't-miss-this? Also, we were considering renting motorcycles to get around in, as my fiance is somewhat handicapped and can't walk very far. Would welcome any suggestions/experiences/etc.
Feel free to email me also at heatherbrae@worldnet.att.net.
And Thanks!:cool: P.S. I forgot to mention that we are: Spanish speaking, experienced divers/snorkelers, experienced travelers.
Be sure to take at least a day trip to Sosua.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sosuadominicanrepublic/

When there you can check out the diving with Northern Coast Aquasports located on the main street.

http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/northerncoast.html

A little further up the highway is Cabarete a windsurfing town with a fantastic beach.
It'sworthwhile to go into Puerto Plata and enjoy people watching at the Central Park and the beautiful cathedral.

Riding a bike can be a little dangerous however if you drive defensively you should be fine, just don't drive at night. Have fun and enjoy.

Michiganders

Jun 3, 2002
Thanks to those who replied already. My cousin, who has a condo in POP suggested the motorcycles as a better alternative to rental cars which he says are advertisements to the local gendarmes to stop us for any reason and demand money. Usually they leave motorcycles alone, and we are used to them. But a word to the wise from people with experience is always worth listening to. Anyone out there with experiences of the Villas Doradas resort? I checked the reviews on the DR1 website, but just wondered if others know about it also. ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Avoid motorcycles....

in the Dominican Republic, even if you are an experienced rider. Traffic is crazy and the roads aren't that great. Really no need to make the expense of renting a car. When traveling from Puerto Plata to Sosua and/or Cabarete, for example, there is ample, very inexpensive public transportation. Both towns are small enough to see everything on foot. If going to Santo Domingo or Santiago, you can easily get there by Caribe Tours bus from Puerto Plata, and use taxis in the cities. Most taxi trips within Santiago cost about RD$40 for the taxi and RD$60 in Santo Domingo.

By the way, what part of Michigan do you live in? I was born and raised in Holland and graduated from MSU.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
What the...

Topic! Topic!

That last question had nothing to do with the DR and this is the NOT the Open forum. You might want to take this matter to email.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh come on Ditz! Are you a cop now??

Tell them about side trips, please and stay on topic...

DO try to visit the town of POP. ambar Museusm, rum factory...

also the falls at Damajagua are pretty good ... Igualna Mama has good tours for that spot...

HB, on topic....hehehe
farmer.gif