Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rejection of 'retiree' residency renewal application

At the suggestion of OP franco1111, I am reposting this residency renewal problem on the legal forum
    in the hopes of getting some clarification of the 'catch-22' in which my wife and I have been ensnared.

Our renewal application has been rejected because we cannot show that our monthly
    Social Security payments are being deposited into a Dominican bank.
    This requirement was not known to us during the months spent getting the documentation
    from the US and Dominican authorities. Nor can I find this requirement in any documentation,
    web page or notification associated with the renewal application. Nevertheless, the migration office in
    PP says that the application cannot be approved, and that I must petition the government to change our
    status from 'retiree' to 'normal'. Can anything be done to salvage our efforts to maintain
    our current residency status?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I may have mentioned this in the other thread. It seems that all it takes to satisfy DGM is documentation showing that you are moving a prescribed amount of money to the DR on a regular basis.

The money you are living on must be coming from somewhere and there is certainly some documentation that details these transfers. I haven't had a bank account here for 4 years. When I renew, I submit 6 months of foreign bank statements that show my movement of cash to the DR. Thus far, no issues doing it this way for me.

If you cannot show that you are complying with the program requirements that pertain to your class of Residency, then that may be a significant obstacle. Otherwise a good lawyer with supporting documentation should be able to use their contacts at DGM to demonstrate you have sufficient funds arriving to satisfy the decision maker(s).

Good luck.

3. Likes etolw, Russell liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Buzzard, hire an immigration lawyer. I can refer you to an excellent, honest one many DR1ers have used, but she speaks no English.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I believe I may have mentioned this in the other thread. It seems that all it takes to satisfy DGM is documentation showing that you are moving a prescribed amount of money to the DR on a regular basis.

The money you are living on must be coming from somewhere and there is certainly some documentation that details these transfers. I haven't had a bank account here for 4 years. When I renew, I submit 6 months of foreign bank statements that show my movement of cash to the DR. Thus far, no issues doing it this way for me.

If you cannot show that you are complying with the program requirements that pertain to your class of Residency, then that may be a significant obstacle. Otherwise a good lawyer with supporting documentation should be able to use their contacts at DGM to demonstrate you have sufficient funds arriving to satisfy the decision maker(s).

Good luck.
    Example: Every check I write for living and business expenses in the DR is written to a cambio who uses Banco Santa Cruz. I write no checks for anything else.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

6. Likes CynthiaCom liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    At the suggestion of OP franco1111, I am reposting this residency renewal problem on the legal forum
    in the hopes of getting some clarification of the 'catch-22' in which my wife and I have been ensnared.

Our renewal application has been rejected because we cannot show that our monthly
    Social Security payments are being deposited into a Dominican bank.
    This requirement was not known to us during the months spent getting the documentation
    from the US and Dominican authorities. Nor can I find this requirement in any documentation,
    web page or notification associated with the renewal application. Nevertheless, the migration office in
    PP says that the application cannot be approved, and that I must petition the government to change our
    status from 'retiree' to 'normal'. Can anything be done to salvage our efforts to maintain
    our current residency status?
    Buzzard, do you have bills demonstrating expenses in the DR or a Dominican bank account?

This requirements are on the web page of the DGM, under the renovation of the residency of a retiree. Specifically, numbers 9 and 10.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Buzzard, out of curiosity, why are you set on retiree residency? Why not regular?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

He already has qualified - this is his renewal
    Hence the frustration.....

He qualified once and now he doesn't......

10. Likes Buzzard liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Buzzard, out of curiosity, why are you set on retiree residency? Why not regular?
    Our intention has always been to retire here. Ever since our first one-week visit in 1988.
    We have owned a apartment from 1988 to 2001, and a house ever since.
    We're in the process of selling our condo in NJ and in the meantime spend about seven months a year here,
    going back in the summer for a few months and for Xmas.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaCom View Post
    Buzzard, do you have bills demonstrating expenses in the DR or a Dominican bank account?

This requirements are on the web page of the DGM, under the renovation of the residency of a retiree. Specifically, numbers 9 and 10.
    I sure wish I could find that web page. Can you assist?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Example: Every check I write for living and business expenses in the DR is written to a cambio who uses Banco Santa Cruz. I write no checks for anything else.
    Claro, EdeNorte, LaSerana, Jose Luis, Gasoline, Auto Insurance, etc.,etc. are always paid via a Chase CC.
    Peso purchases are accomplished by cashing checks made out to Banco Santa Cruz.
    (about $10,000 last year.)

14. Likes CynthiaCom liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast