Thread: MRI

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MRI

I have a few questions about getting an MRI done either at CMC in Sosua or if it is in my best interest to go to Santiago I have no problem with that either. Questions are:
    Is CMC okay for having an MRI done,I have read so many horror stories about CMC
    Do I need a referral from a doctor?
    Do I need an appointment?
    Cost? I do not have insurance.
    Do they have an english speaking radiologist to explain to me the results?
    If it matters,The MRI is for my knee,I aggravated a 30 year old sports injury.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

CMC is fine for an MRI. You'll need to see a doc first. They don't do appointments - wait your turn. Not sure of the cost w/o insurance or if the radiologist speaks English.

3. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They give you copy to take with you at cmc..

5. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bournigal in Puerto Plata may also have an MRI machine as well, but I cannot confirm this on a web search. You would have to contact them directly to find out.

https://www.facebook.com/centromedicobournigal/

7. Likes Tom0910 liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A new center in Puerto Plata opened a year ago, and there are several others, search for «servicios de resonancia magnética puerto plata»

This one could be good, no experience with them though

Radiodiagnosis is a medical imaging center with more than 40 years of uninterrupted work in favor of the population. It was founded by Dr. Rodolfo Pichardo Martínez in Santiago de los Caballeros. The company has two branches, one in La Vega, another in Puerto Plata, in addition to the main center in the city of Santiago.

Magnetic resonance imaging, tomography, X-rays, mammography, breast biopsies and sonodirected thyroid, densitometry, 2D, 3D, and 4D sonography and color doppler are part of the services you will offer.

You can use the Humano, Primera, Palic, Universal, Monumental, Yunén, Metasalud, Senasa, Semma, Central Bank Health Plan and BMI Companies.

http://www.radiodiagnostico.com.do

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/ve....aspx?Id=29281

9. Likes Tom0910, Meemselle liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I think Bournigal in Puerto Plata may also have an MRI machine as well, but I cannot confirm this on a web search. You would have to contact them directly to find out.

https://www.facebook.com/centromedicobournigal/
    Yes they have. In 2013 they were the only ones in Puerto Plata with that capability.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MRI at CMC

It's better to go to CMC with a referral from a PCP. You still have to wait. I've had at least 6 MRIs there, and as I recall, you get the results the next day. The value of having a referral from a PCP is that he/she will read it for you, as the techs are not allowed to do so. You can also wait to see the doctor for whatever part of the body needs the MRI and he/she will order the MRI, and then read it for you.

Most independent PCP's have MRI/x-ray centers usually close by their offices, and you can have the images e-mailed/scanned to them so they can read them for you.

Sorry if abbreviations are not clear: I'm from the US and our medical shorthand is that PCP stands for personal care physician. I know several excellent ones. I have both Dominican and US insurance, but I usually just pay the thousand pesos for the visit and don't bother running it through either insurance.