Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prices 2008-2020

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarbob View Post
    33.80 today,5 jan,2008,at caribe express on Mella,across from Popular bank,before La sirena,China Town.
    bob
    12 years ago the exchange rate was 33.80. Today is a little over 53. Close to 60% jump. But it appears that the cost of living went up 120%.

Does anybody remember the cost of eggs, platanos, etc. back in ‘08?

Who’s benefiting from such a jump in the exchange rate ? Learn me something as they say.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Moved this to a new thread, the exchange rate thread is only for today’s rate, not discussion.

Good topic, look forward to responses

Admin
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

pan de aqua 5 pesos then and now. grande cervezas were around 50 pesos now at least 100 pesos. santo domingo cafe smaller one was 40 pesos then now they are around 100 pesos. halls were a peso, some are still one, some 2 pesos. bananas still same price. the milk and juices went up but not too much. most fruits are about the same as in '08, maybe up a bit. i think eggs are the same, around 5 pesos each then and now? some items skyrocketed (cafe/beer) others not

4. Likes etolw liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds right the below then.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) is a measure that examines the weighted average of prices of a basket of consumer goods and services, such as transportation, food, and medical care. It is calculated by taking price changes for each item in the predetermined basket of goods and averaging them.

As far as I can tell, the CPI increased about 60% from 2008 to 2020 in the DR

2020 prices in the US are about 62% higher than in the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    pan de aqua 5 pesos then and now. grande cervezas were around 50 pesos now at least 100 pesos. santo domingo cafe smaller one was 40 pesos then now they are around 100 pesos. halls were a peso, some are still one, some 2 pesos. bananas still same price. the milk and juices went up but not too much. most fruits are about the same as in '08, maybe up a bit. i think eggs are the same, around 5 pesos each then and now? some items skyrocketed (cafe/beer) others not
    Thank you Gadfly ... in other words exchange rate does not have much of an impact on local economy or cost of living. I thought, or so it feels, that the cost of living was sort of pegged to the dollar but I guess not. Imported goods, or locally produced products dependent on imported material are 100%. Now I see who’s benefiting from higher exchange rate...

How about salaries - how much have they gone up ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A substantial part of the expenses here is eating/drinking out.
    If you cook and eat at home and do not drink in bars your life in DR will be MUCH cheaper than in the States. And MUCH more pleasant - having NO BIG BROTHER watching you and every your move and step 24/7/365.

8. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgolivares View Post
    Thank you Gadfly ... in other words exchange rate does not have much of an impact on local economy or cost of living. I thought, or so it feels, that the cost of living was sort of pegged to the dollar but I guess not. Imported goods, or locally produced products dependent on imported material are 100%. Now I see who’s benefiting from higher exchange rate...

How about salaries - how much have they gone up ?
    Free trade zones data

Minimum salary 2008 was 4485 DOP
    Minimum salary 2020 is 8310 DOP

An increase of 85%, which might give an overall idea.

Business Size or Industry Monthly Minimum Salary in DOP

Large business 12,872
    Medium-sized business 8,849
    Small business 7,843.
    Free trade zones 8,310
    Tourism industry 9,005
    Farm workers 267 per day
    Last edited by etolw; 02-24-2020 at 05:15 PM.

10. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etolw View Post
    Free trade zones data

Minimum salary 2008 was 4485 DOP
    Minimum salary 2020 is 8310 DOP

An increase of 85%, which might give an overall idea.

Business Size or Industry Monthly Minimum Salary in DOP

Large business 12,872
    Medium-sized business 8,849
    Small business 7,843.
    Free trade zones 8,310
    Tourism industry 9,005
    Farm workers 267 per day
    Now you’re educating a lot of us about the reality out there. Is not that salaries are keeping up it’s that the partying is at another level. Restaurant bars colmadones liquor stores fast food places at carefour the pizza places ... all busy. We are making more but spending more y siempre jodido.

I don’t drink but I do like to go out. I’m ok.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Imported goods are expensive.
    Buy local and save a lot

Witness... local rum prices vs Scotch/gin/etc

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying local products for the most part our expenses are still about 60% of what they would be in the US. This has remained pretty constant for us over the last 14 years here. When we got her the exchange was a bit over 28 pesos to the dollar.

Bob K

14. Likes etolw liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast