Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Changes

We’re very late arriving this year, almost 2 months behind our normal schedule. Got here Sunday, some changes I’ve seen

1. Amazingly, shockingly, inexplicably, we’ve had nonstop electricity since we got home. We’re normally on inverter about 12 hours a day, so this is a big deal. Our long time maid says that Danilo knows the country is angry with PLD, and he doesn’t want them angrier, so he’s left the switch on. We think that may end after 27 de Febrero.

2. La Sirena discontinued their 20% off all meats on Wednesday, went today to stock up freezer. They said it’s only occasionally now. I presume they also discontinued discount produce and fish days.

3. Coming through San Cristóbal on our way home there was actually a real school crossing guard, wearing a standard reflective vest. He not only stopped traffic, he walked over to the little girl, took her hand and crossed her over. The vest said he was a volunteer, I think from the ferriteria on the corner.

4. Might be just near us, but the streets look cleaner. Saw lots of 55 gallon drums filled with trash. After reading that the protesters are cleaning up before and after, it gives me hope.

5. Prices are up. Last year the pollera charged 42 pesos a pound for whole chickens. This year they’re 60 and 70, respectively. La Sirena was 57 today, when last year they were about 15-20 pesos more than the polleras.
    At our store, they did away with the cheaper whole frozen chickens

6. The roadside stands are still a bargain. Cheaper than the Féria Ganadera in SD. My favorite girl hasn’t raised her prices. Colmado charged less for milk than La Sirena. Found jumbo 16/20 frozen shrimp at the beach for 500 pesos for 2 pounds. At least double that price in NJ. Delicious whole chillo for lunch, bought from same guy, 250 pesos a pound.

7. Exchange rate here (San Cristobal) is lower than others are getting. BHD offered 52.75, Vimenca/WU 53. Didn’t have time to go to Caribe Express.

8. Neighborhood quieter. No yelling and arguing all day, no loud music.

9. Traffic in SD got worse.

Admin
    DR1.com

2. Likes waytogo, N/A, malko, keepcoming, JDJones and 5 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a chicken sickness/epidemic.... prices went up

Yes, it's cleaner... been getting better year by year

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm far from an expert on SD traffic, but how could it get any worse? Did they just park their cars on the road and go home?

6. Likes windeguy, Harleysrock, Auryn liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    There was a chicken sickness/epidemic.... prices went up

Yes, it's cleaner... been getting better year by year
    I missed that about the chickens, thanks for the explanation

Quote Originally Posted by NanSanPedro View Post
    I'm far from an expert on SD traffic, but how could it get any worse? Did they just park their cars on the road and go home?
    Even more cars, even worse drivers. At least in Manhattan most of the drivers know what they’re doing, like an elaborate dance, weaving in and out. Here it’s more like roller derby.

Admin
    DR1.com

8. Likes bienamor, Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

AE, welcome home...

10. Likes AlterEgo, Meemselle liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious AE, do you take Carr. Sanchez to San Cristobal then down to your place? I'm going to try that route this morning.

I never realized you shop at Sirena in San Cris. I've started going there instead of Jumbo. Less selection means spending less $$$. LOL

Punta Catalina is the other reason for the great electricity. Just in time for elections!
    Last edited by JDJones; 02-27-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I'm curious AE, do you take Carr. Sanchez to San Cristobal then down to your place? I'm going to try that route this morning.

I never realized you shop at Sirena in San Cris. I've started going there instead of Jumbo. Less selection means spending less $$$. LOL

Punta Catalina is the other reason for the great electricity. Just in time for elections!
    after the elections then what??

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    after the elections then what??
    The problem with electricity isn't capacity. They have more than enough but it's expensive. That was one of the reasons for Punta Catalina; to get away from some of the more expensive alternatives.

My opinion is the electrical situation will be better even after the elections. My opinion and 5 pesos will get me a cup of coffee.

14. Likes etolw, Caonabo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    The problem with electricity isn't capacity. They have more than enough but it's expensive. That was one of the reasons for Punta Catalina; to get away from some of the more expensive alternatives.

My opinion is the electrical situation will be better even after the elections. My opinion and 5 pesos will get me a cup of coffee.
    got to stop drinking those high sugar coffee's from the thermos

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back... to Wonderland.

17. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast